Thread: cost of immigration

Default cost of immigration

how much would you say you have spent on just getting the visa? not the move?
    Last edited by krizaten; 11th September 2011 at 02:43 PM.

Default Who should apply? Higher pointage? or more demand?

Hi again,
    This may be a better question for INZ, but I thought I would ask you guys first since you quite smart.

If I am the primary applicant the estimated EOI score is 150,
    if my husband is, 145. Should the individual with the higher score be primary on the application or the individual with higher job demand? I am an occupational therapist and my husband is a chemical engineer. Both are on the shortage list, however I think his job is more "in demand" than mine.

Just curious as to your opinions on this!

Kristen

Quote Originally Posted by krizaten View Post
    Hi again,
    If I am the primary applicant the estimated EOI score is 150,
    if my husband is, 145. Should the individual with the higher score be primary on the application or the individual with higher job demand?

Kristen
    If you are past the threshold for EOI selection (140 points) with either of you as primary, and both are on the Long Term Skills Shortage list, then it doesn't matter for getting to the ITA stage - I would instead look at if either one will have an easier time documenting their academic, work experience and any other proof needed to get through the review.

In our case, I was the Principal Applicant but since I had worked for several companies that have closed (gotta love .COMs) it was a pain to prove my work experience - if my wife's field had been on the LTSSL at that point, we could have used her instead. As it turned out, she got the job offer, not me, and I have been an independent consultant since we arrived - INZ didn't care one bit since we were here and met resident criteria.

Post Companies closed

That is interesting because my husband's prior two companies have also 'gone under'. And no longer exist. He has slightly more work expereince with these closed companies, and still has contact with his prior bosses. I will keep this in mind!

From what I'm reading it will cost about $2750 ish for the applications...

So far I have spent (in USD)

$400 EOI
    $135 PAR
    $1000 IQA fast-track

I still need to pay $1765 for the residence application and eventually $1200 for the migrant levy for 4 once approved in principle.

If you're qualifications are on the exempt list for NZQA you shouldn't need the PAR or the IQA.

There were lots of other miscellaneous costs- FBI clearance letter, new transcripts, medical copays, fedex costs. So far I've spent about $300 on these things. So for us I think the total will be closer to $5000 without factoring in the dog's costs.

Quote Originally Posted by krizaten View Post
    That is interesting because my husband's prior two companies have also 'gone under'. And no longer exist. He has slightly more work expereince with these closed companies, and still has contact with his prior bosses. I will keep this in mind!

From what I'm reading it will cost about $2750 ish for the applications...
    I was able to document all of my employment through old bosses but it was more of an effort than if I had worked for still active businesses - that said, INZ didn't quibble with any of it.

On the pricing, it has been 5 years since we applied so I don't have a good sense of what current pricing would be.