Thread: Would it be feasable...?

Default Would it be feasable...?

Hi all,

I've read so much the last few months regarding costs of living etc in new zealand and i wonder if i did make the move from the uk would a nurse salary of around NZD60k be enough for a single person to live on and still be able to explore the country and visit OZ?

I have visited NZ a few times and love it, but being a tourist is very different from making a permanent move; and I'd still like to be able to explore that side of the world whilst I'm there!

Maybe applying and working in OZ where wages are significantly higher would be a better option so I can still explore the southern hemisphere!

Any suggestions....?

Use the Search - I know there are some old threads about cost of living, which might help you to judge.

Hi,

Could you clarify where you plan to live in New Zealand? Cost of living in smaller centres is more affordable than Auckland. I think I could live on that salary if I was alone, but I wouldn't be to afford to buy a house with a huge mortgage. Are you planning to rent or buy? Check out trademe.co.nz for rental listings, prices are listed as price per week.

Best of luck with your decision!

Yes I think that would be totally feasible, although it depends on lots of factors e.g. where you plan to live, if you're renting or buying, just how much travel you intend to do etc.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Personally I would say this is verydoable if it's just you and you don't live extravagantly. By that I mean living in Oriental Parade, eating out every night, driving a car newer than 5 years old, etc.

But as with everything, it is totally dependent upon your own lifestyle choices. If I was single and didn't have the pooch, I reckon I could get by on that, even in Welly.

Hey all,

thanks for the replies!

I love north island so i guess i'd live somewhere there, but it would depend where the jobs are! Have just had an email for a job in North Shore which I think i'd love; so I think I'm going to get on and do my NZ reg and stuff!

I'd rent out my house in UK in case things didn't work out so would rent in NZ...so many things to think about and deliberate!!!

Quote Originally Posted by allison2nz View Post
    Hey all,

thanks for the replies!

I love north island so i guess i'd live somewhere there, but it would depend where the jobs are! Have just had an email for a job in North Shore which I think i'd love; so I think I'm going to get on and do my NZ reg and stuff!

I'd rent out my house in UK in case things didn't work out so would rent in NZ...so many things to think about and deliberate!!!

Good luck with everything. I start my new job as an ER nurse in the Central North island area Monday. It is a lengthy process to get your reg etc but we are 2 weeks in and so far everything is going well.

Let me know if you have any questions about the process,

Thanks Hagabel,

I'm doing NZ reg then sending in my EOI.......is that the right way round as I saw in your sig it was a bit different for you?

Eek, I'm going to be honest and say if you're keen on both places, without kids and wanting to explore both countries, then Australian nurse salaries are quite a bit more. Have a look at health agreements over there- you'll find they vary by state (less pay in NSW and Victoria than Queensland, for example) and bear in mind the whole package- lots of salary packaging perks over there like taking rent out of your income PRE tax, pre-tax meal allowances etc, etc. Have you looked into LAFHA (living away from home allowance) in Oz?

Quote Originally Posted by allison2nz View Post
    Thanks Hagabel,

I'm doing NZ reg then sending in my EOI.......is that the right way round as I saw in your sig it was a bit different for you?

Yes, you are doing it the way I was advised but I had to be different! Our EOI got picked immediately and then we got to a point when I had to put everything on hold whilst i got reg..but we were in no big hurry,

APC just do when you know you are coming over. If you have a job offer I think it speeds everything up.