Thread: NZQA for CCNA

Default NZQA for CCNA

Hi,

Has anyone applied to NZQA for a qualification assessment for CCNA? What was the outcome?

I'm trying to apply for EOI but need points for level 3,4,5,6 recognized qualification and was wondering if a CCNA would get me that. I dont want to pay $700+ to get it assessed if it turns out you cant get it recognized.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello and welcome.

I'm sure you'll get some replies later from people in your line of work. Meanwhile, here are some old threads where the CCNA is mentioned. It doesn't sound as if it will be helpful on its own, from what they're saying, not with NZQA, although it's recognized by employers.

Do you have e.g. a degree - and how many years' experience?

Thanks JandM!

Umm .. sorry, i cant seem to find the threads you're talking about, how do i view it? Sorry, im new and trying to familiarize myself with this.

Yes i have a Bachelor of Engineering Technology from USP (Fiji) and from my research, that's recognized by NZQA as level 7. I need more points for my EOI tho, i want to get more than 140 so that i can get automatically selected, i dont want to take the risk of waiting in the pool if i have less than 140 points.

I also have a New Zealand University Entrance, Bursaries & Scholarships Examination (NZUEBS) which is an old qualification, last offered in 2003. I sat this in a different country tho (Tonga) and was wondering if i can claim points for that but im not sure what level this is recognized as. I think it's currently the equivalent of NCEA but im not too sure?? Would anyone happen to know if i can claim points with this??

Thanks!!!

Sorry about that - there was some glitch and the link didn't appear. Here it is. http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sit...l=en&source=hp

I don't think you'll get any points for that either. It's very difficult to get 140 points or over these days without a job offer or some outside item (like a partner's qualification). You might consider doing a recce trip to do some interviews with potential employers or agents, in the hope of getting an offer. There are many old threads that would come up on the Search (button on the blue bar above) on that subject.

Thanks for your help JandM!!

Well i rang NZQA, they advised me that the NZUEBS is recognized as a level 3 and i can claim points for that. The lady said it's the equivalent of a NCEA (also level 3). She didnt seem so convincing to me tho, but i asked her if NZUEBS is recognized in the NZQF and she said yes, and so im assuming i can claim points for that.

So, when i tallied everything up in the points indicator, i have 170 points???? When you say it's hard to get 140 these days without a job offer, im starting to think my 170 is too good to be true??

I have a Btech and 3+ years work experience, both in future growth areas and absolute skill shortage (im a network engineer), i have level 7 and level 3 recognized qualification, a brother in NZ, and no partner, and im 26.

Am i missing somethig?

Hi meme,

Qualification points are not cumulative so you can't claim points for both the level 3 and 7 quals. You only get points for your highest qualification.

You can find more information in the operations manual SM14.10.

Thanks Kate!

Oh bummer!!!!! I thought it referred to qualifications of the same level, but i guess it applies to all, cos i tried filling out the EOI form online, and my points dont go beyond 120 :-(

Does anybody know how likely it is for someone to get selected from a pool when you have less than 140 points? How long does it usually take? Should i go for it or not?

Also, how easy is it to come on a visitor's visa to NZ, look for a job and get a job offer? How long does it take for most people?

Yes, I meant you wouldn't get that qualification as an extra.

A lot of people go the recce trip route - use the Search, and the old threads will come up. Make another post so you have a minimum of five, and you'll have access to The Lounge forum, where some valuable blow by blow reports of such trips are.

How long does it take for most people?
    It isn't possible to generalize, as people's situations vary so much (qualifications, experience, family situation, etc.). Many forumites put their timeline in their signature, though, so you can get a general impression by looking at those.

Does anybody know how likely it is for someone to get selected from a pool when you have less than 140 points?
    There are many people here who have gone through with fewer than 140 - selections TEND to drop towards the end of the year, but there's no way to say it will or it won't, as it all depends on how many people submit around the same time as you, how well they are qualified, etc., etc., and these things aren't regular, or a matter of public knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by meme View Post
    Does anybody know how likely it is for someone to get selected from a pool when you have less than 140 points? How long does it usually take? Should i go for it or not?
    My EOI was with 135 points, including 15 bonus points for work experience in LTSSL. Mine got selected after 6 weeks after I submitted the application. Of late, I observe that NZIS are considering EOIs without a job offer, but with bonus points for work experience. If you qualify under this category, your stand a good chance to be picked up in the immediate lot that happens after you submit your application.

Please note that a selection from the EOI lot does not mean you would definetely be invited to apply (ITA). It goes through some preliminary checks and if the Case Officer is convinced about the points, you would be sent ITA.

Good luck with your application process.

This site is awesome! Responses are so fast and very helpful! Thanks a million! This is my 5th post so hopefully i get access to the lounge. Thanks again for all your help! I have so much reading and researching to do now. lol