Thread: Waiouru to Palmerston North (Massey University)

Default Waiouru to Palmerston North (Massey University)

I'm not sure I put this under the correct category, but it seemed the best choice.

Now the area I've been offered a job is in Waiouru, close to the military base (or practically on it). My husband will have to go to university and he's hoping to get into the teaching program at Massey or if that doesn't work a bachelor's in mathematics.

That aside, we have been googling and searching to see if there is any type of public transportation from Waiouru to Palmerston North. The only thing we can find is Intercity bus which leaves either at 2am or 11am (roughly). On top of that you pay about 14 dollars one way for the trip. We had really hoped not to have to buy a car. Does anyone know if there are any local busses or how he would make this type of trip?

I also couldn't find any other University within reasonable travelling time. As it is even if we get a car, he will have to travel almost 2 hours just to get to the University (one way). We don't know how a university schedule would look, if you normally have to go to classes everyday or if you can arrange your schedule yourself since if he can arranges classes to go two days a week, that wouldn't be so bad. Anyone currently a Massey student in Palmerston North, how does the scheduling work (in a teaching program or Bachelor of Science in Mathematics).

Does anyone have any other options we are missing? Am I being unrealistic to think we can move to this area without a car? Any advice would be welcomed since we are not familiar with this territory. If there is another university option we can consider, feel free to share.

Thanks!

Are you considering doing Waiouru - Palmerston North on a daily basis? And actually living in Waiouru without a car?

Personally, I'd say neither is a realistic option for anything but the shortest of periods (if that).

What took me a while to get used to is that my idea of travelling and how long it takes doesn't apply here. It always takes longer than you think, and I personally find it a lot more tiring. SH 1 is, at that point, not a particularly speedy or easy road to go on. I certainly wouldn't like to do it in the dark.

Others will know more about the uni at PN, but purely from a driving/car-no car angle, I personally would not consider this an option.

Daniela

I would say you would definitely need a car if living in Waiouru. There is very little in the way of services and shopping there so the occasional trip to Taupo or Palmy would be required. There is very little in the way of public transport outside of the Intercity bus you already identified.

Another thing to consider is that Waiouru is on the desert road which can be closed many times during the winter due to snow storms (I think it was closed at least 6-7 times this past winter). So the possibility is high that he could get cut off from class or getting home.

I would guess that your best option would be have a flat or rental in Palmy for him to stay at while in class and then travel back on the weekends.

PM me if you need any ideas on flats or rentals in Palmy as we have lived in them and have an idea about what is available. My wife is also studying at Massey so we may be able to offer some info in that area as well.

I wouldn't recommend it. I don't know about other programs- but I'm in class (at Massey) from basically 8am until 5pm (that being said- my program is a bit special).

Is what he's looking at studying available extramurally? (I don't think teaching is...).

There is no public transport- and I don't think you could live in Waiouru easily without a car. Another option is living somewhere in the middle (like Hunterville) and having two cars and each of you commuting 1/2 the way.

I don't think any of the options are ideal though.

Victoria University run some distance courses in Education - have a look at their website to see if any of the courses are appropriate to your needs.

Is he looking to do an initial teacher training course (IE he doesn't already have a degree) or planning on a 1 yr graduate programme? Primary or secondary?

For primary initial teacher training and secondary graduate diploma there's a well regarded distance course with the University of Waikato. UoW run a mixed media programme (MMP) to reflect that you go into university for 2-3 block weeks of learning a year. The course has a strong emphasis on collaborative learning and isn't as 'lonely' as some programmes as it's all run through online structured discussion format. When you do the block weeks students (predominantly North Island remote adult learners) typically all stay on the university marae together as it's cheap and strong supporting friendships are built- the week blocks are intensive. Belmont Babes is a forum member in her final weeks of the primary programme ...
    http://education.waikato.ac.nz/quali...nce-education/

There's also Massey's extramural options and if it's a graduate diploma he's wanting to do, Victoria's distance programme is highly regarded.

Check out 'extramural' study with Massey- they offer most their courses this way now- I'm studying with them at the moment and really enjoying it.

Thank you all so very much. Wonderful advice (and what I thought). He will be doing a bachelors as he just started university last January in the teaching program in Stockholm so he's hoping to transfer. Right now he took the IETLS and did very well on all parts except the writing where got a 6.5 instead of a 7 which is required for admittance into the teaching program. We don't know if there are any exceptions to allow him in and take the test at a later point, but he is going to apply with a letter and ask. We did see Massey has an extramural program for teaching so that will be the first choice, otherwise he'll aim for a bachelor's focusing on mathematics and try transfer later to the teaching program.

Thanks for the suggestion about having an apartment at Massey while he's at school. If we had an idea how many days he'd be at school and if it was only a few days a week we would consider it, but we don't know about doing that if it's everyday. It's only me working so he can study, so money wise we might not be able to afford 2 apartments.

The option about Waikatu is super with the intensive blocks. That would be a good solution. So we will look into that too as a second choice.

The reason we are living on the base is because they are providing a cheap apartment for us. We figured living in the middle wouldn't be a good solution since we'll both then have long distances to travel & the cost of two cars on just my teaching salary.

I so very much appreciate all the ideas. They were very helpful and I might pm you TJH for advice since you seem to be familiar with the school, your wife currently there