Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sponsoring adult child/sibling (posts from the 'Hard times' thread)

Default Sponsoring adult child/sibling (posts from the 'Hard times' thread)

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    No. Under the new terminology as from last November, what you arrive in NZ on under Skilled Migrant is Residence (not now called PR as it was when you came in). Three years from arrival, after living in NZ more than half the time *, you can sponsor in a sibling or adult child.

(Two years in, if you meet all the requirements, you can get Permanent Residence (which used to be called PR with IRRV), but that is totally irrelevant to sponsoring anyone.)

* Here are the requirements on both the sponsor, and on the adult child. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ld/default.htm
    These criteria sound unworkable to me, a job offer is required before applying then a wait of 18 to 24 months. Anybody ever managed it? I'm interested because my only child left in the UK was dead set against coming and in the army. After two trips to visit uncle bin lid's lot he got out and now wants to come.

No, they're not unworkable, but they require patience, like everything to do with migrating, and even more so, everything to do with the Family Stream (other than partnership), as it isn't regarded as priority. Is your son within the age bracket for a Working Holiday Visa (under 30), or BUNAC IEP (under 35)? - as he could use the time in NZ to job hunt face to face.

No, they're not unworkable, but they require patience, like everything to do with migrating, and even more so, everything to do with the Family Stream (other than partnership), as it isn't regarded as priority. Is your son within the age bracket for a Working Holiday Visa (under 30), or BUNAC IEP (under 35)? - as he could use the time in NZ to job hunt face to face.
    I haven't tried it yet, but is it really possible to reply to a job advert and say it'll be 2 years before I can take it up? Isn't WHV for seasonal type jobs anyway which although would give temp employment probably doesn't meet the criteria for the FS?
    Besides I've looked at the flow chart for FS and it seems to indicate that he would have to be living outside of NZ (QUOTE: have no other siblings or parents who are living lawfully and permanently in the same country in which they are living)to even apply so if he was here under any visa, apart from visitor, would not be eligible.

Maybe I'm too used to reading what is written rather than "maybe it means this in my case" but I've found this technique normally works for me with immigration.

I agree with the patience bit though, I'm 6 years down the line, 4 1/2 continually in NZ with 3 adult children with me here now (joining me at regular intervals). Just the wife and one left to go!!

To further, this is intersting quote

" Note:
    The employment agreement doesn’t need to be supplied until after your application has been approved in principle. "

So maybe the idea is to apply with no offer then when the application has been approved in principle time is allowed to get an offer before cintinuing. I can't find any time frame allowed though so maybe I need to drop a line to my friends at immigration.

mmm, just looked at the application form and although the employment agreement needn't be included and can be supplied later, the details do. Such as employer's name, job title, salary, start date.

So a job offer must be found at the time of application, then expect the employer to wait upwards of 2 years before starting.

Anybody managed it?

Just realised this is OT. Do with my posts what you will.

I haven't tried it yet, but is it really possible to reply to a job advert and say it'll be 2 years before I can take it up?
    My feeling (nothing official, just interpreting) is that the assumption is your family network will have found you an opening - because of connections, therefore, the niche would wait for you.

Isn't WHV for seasonal type jobs anyway which although would give temp employment probably doesn't meet the criteria for the FS?
    No, WHV is not only for seasonal work. You can take work of any kind, as long as it isn't a permanent contract (how long you can work on each contract varies with the country you come from, I believe). So an employer could try you out, and know you'd be worth having. Being legally in NZ for a good length of time would allow the adult child or sibling a chance to get their face known, get some NZ experience on their CV, and a chance to meet employers face to face. (Of course, many workers on a WHV have netted themselves an offer of permanent employment which qualified them to apply for a work visa or Residence in their own right, so they didn't need to wait for sponsorship. But that depends on what qualifications they have, and what jobs are on the shortage lists at the time.)

Thanks for shifting the posts.

Any info from anyone being through the system would be appreciated.

A major problem I see which confounds your interpretation is the statement that when applying the sibling must have no family living lawfully in the same country he is living. Which suggests the applicant must not be living in NZ when he applies meaning he cannot be here on a WHV to find work or get his face noticed etc. As i see it he can only apply for FS after either securing a job offer remotely, or like most of us while on a tourist visa.

As an aside, aren't all jobs in NZ now on a 3 month probationary period, allowing the employer to rid himself of anyone for any reason within that time?

On the bonus side there is no mention of the job being on any list or any need for a market proof. Another strange requirement is the remuneration, following the link it gives a table giving required income for applicants which increases with every dependant child. So what happens, as in this case when there are no dependant children? Is there no minimum wage, or has it just not been thought out?

Another bonus it seems his partner, subject to usual immigration proof, can simply just be added to the application.

I imagine it will all become clear as it unfolds.

No, I'm not confounded! He can have gone to NZ and done his face-showing, then go back out of the country to apply. Why shouldn't he do that on a nice long stay, able to work to finance himself, rather than on a visitor's visa?

Can you give a link to exactly where you're looking about the remuneration?

Edited to say, I've found it, and I agree - the two pages don't seem to be saying the same thing.

Have you looked at the Operations Manual on this subject? That sometimes makes the mud a little clearer.

Section F6. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/

Another edit to add this, which may give a bit of leeway.

F6.25 Deferring the final decision

If, at the time of assessment, the principal applicant has not met the criteria under F6.1(a), but may be able to do so within 6 months, the final decision on the application may be deferred for up to 6 months.
    A principal applicant already in New Zealand may be granted a further temporary entry visa or visas (once an application is made) for a period sufficient to enable a further assessment of their application after the 6-month deferral period.

Section F6. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/

Another edit to add this, which may give a bit of leeway.
    Thanks for your help with this but applicants do seem to be between a rock and a hard place.

The ops manual does clear the living in the same country thing by having the word permamentely to describe where the applicant lives. So if he is here in NZ under say a WHV then he cannot be described as living in NZ(permamantely) so can apply while here in NZ.

This is in section F6.1.1

Applications that do not include an offer of employment will not be considered to be made (see R2.25).

So an offer of employment must exist before applying. I think the relaxation with F6.25 refering to the F6.1A (which is the job offer) will be to allow the applicant to find another job offer if the original has been withdrawn.

Seeing that an applicant needs a sponsor who guarantees support for two years wouldn't it be nice to give them a visa without a job offer which could then be rescinded if unemployed at the end of the two years?

Alan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast