Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 months in Auckland

Default 2 months in Auckland

Hi everyone

It’s been a while since I’ve posted in this forum, though I do occasionally “visited” the various threads…

Now where did I left off previously? Anyway an update is in order, I suppose. We got our blue stickers (Resident Visa) in mid Dec 2010 and booked our flight to Chch for Apr 2011 (one way). Then comes the second quake in Feb and that changes our plans somewhat. We decided to make our first trip end May for our first entry as well as a recce trip instead. Spent 7 days in Chch and 10 days in Auckland and at the end of the trip, we’ve decided to stay in Auckland. I guess the thought of the aftershocks is unsettling for us. As a matter of fact, while we’re in Auckland there was an aftershock in Chch and on the day we flew back to Malaysia, there was another one. Our 7 days in Chch was peaceful, so we were fortunate I suppose…

During our stay in Auckland, we ended up renting a place instead though we’ve looked at a lot of houses at that time. We feel that it’s the best option for now as we do not want to rush especially the area that we wanted to stay in is North Shore with steep house prices.

We came back to Auckland mid Aug and the first week was pretty hectic as we need to furnish our rented place, enrolling the kids into school, buying a car etc. Coupled that with the “big chill”, some say coldest since 1939 . Now the family is pretty much settled, kids are adjusting in school, making friends and all of us learning new things as we go.

So the questions is after 2 months or so, is it worth it? The answer is YES. Kiwis are generally very friendly with no air whatsoever. Over here, you don’t have to keep up with the Joneses. Life is more than that and we totally agree. School is excellent in our mind. Our daughter is in Year 10, Westlake Girls and our 2 sons are in Year 7 Glenfield Intermediate. After years of having tons of homework and the drilling and memorizing, it’s such a refreshing change for once, especially for my 2 boys in Intermediate School! It’s heartening to see them making friends as well and enjoying school for once….

For now, our focus is on All BLACKS to win the World Cup! That’ll turn Auckland upside down for sure

Cheers

Good for you, and thanks for the update.

Quote Originally Posted by Automotive View Post
    For now, our focus is on All BLACKS to win the World Cup! That’ll turn Auckland upside down for sure
    Why not set up a Malaysian rugby team. Now that really would turn Auckland upside down!!

Great to hear (or read) your impressions. I think youve touched on the thing I miss most about NZ, the fact that there is no pressure to 'keep up with the Joneses', and the fact that Kiwis dont judge you for what job you do or how much money you earn (like people do in the UK). Cant wait to get back to being accepted for who I am and not what I do.
    :O)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwijo View Post
    , the fact that there is no pressure to 'keep up with the Joneses', and the fact that Kiwis dont judge you for what job you do or how much money you earn (like people do in the UK).
    This has not been my personal experience at all. But hey, I seem to be living in a parallel NZ most of the time anyway (and must have lived in a parallel UK, too)

Daniela

Got to say I agree with dharder. I am living in Devonport and feel the 'keep up with the Jones' vibe here! some people who appear friendly initially are just plain nosey and don't see it's not very polite to ask personal questions!! I hate generalising - why can't we just accept that people are all different? All this 'kiwis are so friendly' crap is daft. I've met some nice ones and some downright rude ones. Que sera sera as Doris would say.

don't see it's not very polite to ask personal questions
    It sounds as though you've come up against an aspect of being a foreigner. Not only talking about New Zealanders here - in a lot of societies/countries, there isn't the same concept of 'a personal question' as there is where some of us come from. In those places, it's not only normal, it's polite, to ask questions about a newcomer's life and situation - it's seen as showing a proper interest and wanting to get to know them. You don't need to be offended when meeting people like this, but get the knack of sliding round areas you don't want to discuss.

There was an instance whereby I actually spoke to a "pakeha" wearing an ALL BLACKS shirt (he looks like a Rugby player) and I asked whether in the history of ALL BLACKS was there ever an Asian in the team and he looked at me, smiled and said nope.. In this case, size does matters you know....

Quote Originally Posted by skywatcher View Post
    Why not set up a Malaysian rugby team. Now that really would turn Auckland upside down!!

In any country, variation is bound to happen. Therefore I use the word generally, meaning in our day to day lives, I see many more friendly people than rude ones. And my basis of comparison is obviously the country where we were as well as the various countries that we've travelled in
    There could also be some cultural aspect as well. In some cultures, asking "personal questions" are not deemed as rude but rather being good neighbours or just wanted to get to know you. Some people like to share and some don't. At this stage, we are okay with "nosey" people because they are always willing to answer all those queries that we have......

Quote Originally Posted by tinybird View Post
    Got to say I agree with dharder. I am living in Devonport and feel the 'keep up with the Jones' vibe here! some people who appear friendly initially are just plain nosey and don't see it's not very polite to ask personal questions!! I hate generalising - why can't we just accept that people are all different? All this 'kiwis are so friendly' crap is daft. I've met some nice ones and some downright rude ones. Que sera sera as Doris would say.

Hi Automotive,

Glad to hear that you and family are settling well in North Shore. May I check with you about schooling.

Our daughter is in Year 10, Westlake Girls and our 2 sons are in Year 7 Glenfield Intermediate.
    My eldest son was born in Sept 1999 and he is in Standard 6 this year. We'll be going to Auckland 2012. Will he be in Year 8 or Year 9 next year? I have feedback that he'll be in Year 8. But would also like to hear from you since our kids are from the same background.

I'm not too concerned about my youngest since he'll be in primary next year. But the eldest will either be in Intermediate or High school. Need to know which school to enrol him.

Also, do we need to translate our driving license? Thanks.

Have a nice weekend.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast