Thread: Essential skills- work permit

Default Essential skills- work permit

Hi people,

I have just been offered a job teaching secondary English in Auckland, to start late january 2012.

Now I need to start the daunting work permit process! Can anyone help me?

I know that I want a temporary work permit (I think it lasts for 3 years) and I know this requires a medical. My job is listed on the long term skills list so I think that makes it easier. What I would like to know is this:

1) How long does a work permit take to process with a job offer?
    2) can you visit any doctor to get a medical or does it have to be special, NZ recognised doctors?
    3) How much does the medcal cost approx?
    4) I have a permanent job offer- is a temporary work permit ok for this?

Any responses would be appreciated

Thanks!!!

1. Google 'NZ immigration X branch processing times' for the branch you'll be submitting to, and that will give you an idea. Bear in mind, those are all ESTIMATES - conditions within INZ vary, and people's circumstances are so different from one another that they will never be able to promise about something so unpredictable.

2. Panel doctors are mandatory for the INZ medicals in the UK. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...rs.htm?level=1 Find your possibles here.

3. There is a thread on the forum where people have entered what they paid, but these fees may not be up to date. It's worth asking the various surgeries on the phone before you commit to a booking. There is a lot of variation, such that some people have found it worthwhile to travel right out of their area, even involving an overnight stay, to get cheaper fees and/or an appointment sooner.

4. Most people in your shoes would probably put in for Residence (because you definitely qualify at this point), but alongside that, put in for a Temporary Work visa, because that should be able to be processed more quickly and allow you to get there and start work sooner. Another advantage of doing the two visas at once is that you only have to send the evidence once, and police certificates and medicals can be shared. The 'temporary' of the work visa is nothing to do with 'permanent' on the work contract, and it's fine for your purpose.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra.../requirements/
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...nt/default.htm

There has been a thread containing an emigration checklist which might be worth searching for - the one I'm thinking of involved who you need to notify, and practicalities that need to be arranged. Edited to say: here it is. http://www.enz.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-10641.html

You have been really helpful- thank you!

I'm just about getting my head sorted to attempt this form now!

Deep breaths... you'll get there. Good luck.

Hi RCU,

I'm just curious how come you wouldn't aim to try and get the residency visa rather than a temporary visa (if you don't mind me asking)? I notice you have a job (which is great) and as a secondary school teacher in English (isn't that on the LTSSL?). Seems like a great position to be in for you

I know I feel very lucky- although it hasn't been easy I have lost count of how many jobs I've applied for!

The reason I am going for a work permit is because I have always wanted to work abroad but I don't think it will be forever. If I am successful with this work permit then I can hopefully get 2-3 years which is a good stretch. If I absolutely love it out there then hopefully it won't be too difficult to apply for residency if I need to.

Who knows- maybe I'll never want to go back to England and will regret my cautious decision!

Understand decisions you've had to make around this. In my situation, I applied for a 1 year work visa just because I wasn't sure how long it'd take to process a SMC residency. I've just applied for residency, and all is looking ok so just waiting now. I wasn't sure how long I'll be here either, but you never know if they'll change the residency requirements and then it be even more difficult to get in. So I thought best to put it in now before it changes! EG. citizen requirements changed where you only had to be in country for 3 years to apply (back in 2005) and then it changed to 5 years. So quite a significant change.

Now after being here just a few weeks, and starting a great job, I am falling in love with the country! I can totally seeing me staying here longer term. :-)