Thread: Advice about getting an IRD while in the UK

Default Advice about getting an IRD while in the UK

Was just wondering if im able to get the IRD number while im still in the UK? Ive read that you take your documents to an inland revenue certifide verifyer, is that here in the UK or in NZ? Any advice would be so welcome, thankyou. please excuse the spelling mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by benni View Post
    Was just wondering if im able to get the IRD number while im still in the UK? Ive read that you take your documents to an inland revenue certifide verifyer, is that here in the UK or in NZ? Any advice would be so welcome, thankyou. please excuse the spelling mistakes.
    You need proof of address in NZ as well as supporting documentation such as job offer or contract, before you can be issued with an IRD. All this can be done through a NZ post office

Rebecca

Default thanks

ok thanks for the info, so i should wait to arrive in nz in november and then apply for the ird? is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by benni View Post
    ok thanks for the info, so i should wait to arrive in nz in november and then apply for the ird? is that right?
    You can only apply for an IRD number once you are actually physically here in NZ.

Go into any post office, open even on a Sunday and then you can get the number over the phone about 2 days later, or it's posted to you in a week or so.

You used to be able to apply in advance, but that changed 2-3 years ago, so there may be some confusing advice on the forum / elsewhere.

I paid about $10 for the quick service for my IRD number and they phoned it through within 3 hours and had a copy in the post within a couple of days - FYI I'm in the Auckland area (not sure if that makes any difference)

Hello and welcome, benni.

Default thanks

hi all, thanks for the info, its all gone in. cant wait to get over there and enjoy the beautiful country.