Thread: Professional CV writers?

Default Professional CV writers?

Anyone know of any good ones for IT/programming? OH has been at current NZ job for 3 years and soon it may be time to move on. He's rather keen on the idea of using a professional CV writer or good recruiter. eyes:

Goals are salary increase (he may be a good programmer but he's a terrible negotiator) and preferentially staying in ChCh.

I am also interested in CV writers for IT/Development. Can anyone recommend good one?

Hi guys, I had opted for CV service from following link. I found it very impressive and quite reasonable pricing as well. This CV writing group is located out of UK but, they are able to create CV in whichever country's format you wish to use... I had opted for a CV in NZ format (which is usually very short that fits in 2- 4 pages)

If you use this link, you will go with my reference,

http://www.cvcl.co.uk/ref/42313

Quote Originally Posted by sribhat View Post
    Hi guys, I had opted for CV service from following link. I found it very impressive and quite reasonable pricing as well. This CV writing group is located out of UK but, they are able to create CV in whichever country's format you wish to use... I had opted for a CV in NZ format (which is usually very short that fits in 2- 4 pages)
    What makes you think that a UK company knows the format required for NZ, and who told you that a CV in NZ is usually very short? I do hope it wasn't the same company.

It has been recommended many times that you should tailor your CV to each job that you apply for, does this company do this for you and does it cost each time?

Ian

Hi,

I can recommend www.mykiwicareer.com, my partner used them to get a Kiwi style Cv and cover letter and was very happy with the outcome. Also fair prices...

I don’t know any CV writing businesses/professionals, and I don’t know the owner of the My Kiwi Career business, a German lady by the way, so I have absolutely no stake in this matter. But I would doubt that CVs written or edited by her would be of superior quality, at least not language-wise. Her website is peppered with spelling and punctuation mistakes (e.g. using commas in relative clauses according to German rules).

It would seem more promising to use a professional who is both familiar with the country and its specifics, which does not necessarily mean s/he needs to be a born and bred New Zealander, and is an English native speaker.

As a skilled migrant (would be migrant) if you can not write your own CV, how can you prove your worth?

I'm not sure about others but I just used my usual CV and never had a problem, though I tend to change formatting & presentation of skills (with experience) once every 2-3 years which seems to have worked well. Before moving to NZ, I did little bit of research and general opinion echoed that NZ employers looked for lengthy CVs - while industry standard was (or my favored one) is bullet format.....which gives you scope to narrate what each one meant, how it relates to your experience, keep conversation going, prove communication skills, take up questions etc, otherwise interview would just sound like news reading session ending with weather report

p.s. that's just my personal opinion and preference.

Hope that helps

Hi Ian,
    I did research on google for CV writing tips according to NZ format. Not just at one site, quite a few sites suggested to keep the CV short (for eg. no need to explain complete set of duties for each job profile that we worked for). A high level is enough. some sites suggested not more than 4 pages of CV. According to some research by professional CV writers, NZ employers look for simple CVs with not more than 2- 4 pages. It might be wrong as well... It's just a say from some CV writer.

Also, many of the CV writing tips suggests, not to use fancy templates for CV writing as this could distract from the points the we mention in the CV.

I agree with you on the point we need to alter the CV slightly based on the kind of job role.