Thread: Using Gmail for Free International Calls

Thumbs up Using Gmail for Free International Calls

A cost saving tip to share...
    If you create a gmail account via google (its free), you can click on the "Call Phone" link on the left hand side of your inbox and make FREE calls to landlines without paying. Yes, you need internet but that's all.

Skype charges you for these kind of landline calls. But you can call any phone from the internet via Gmail. You don't even have to have your own phone number!

Its been a real cost saving for me talking to family back in Canada. Hope it stays free though!

I've been using Gmail to make phone calls in the U.S. for the past year. Works great. I also use it to call from the US to NZ for 2c/min. That's great that it is free calling from NZ to the US.

This must be new. I've used Google Voice to call NZ from the USA at 2 cents per minute. But now you're saying one can call from outside the USA to North America? Wonderful. The world is trully becoming more connnected.

This service is available from many European countries since several months, not sure of NZ though. And if i'm not mistaken, its free till early next year only (but google may extend it further)

I used this to call on US landline/mobile and it worked for Canadian landline/mobile as well. Haven't used it for some time but voice quality was excellent.

You need to download google plugins to use this service. If you can not see green phone (hook) on the left side of menu bar in gmail, it means either you don't have plugins or your service provider blocked this feature. If this feature is blocked by your ISP (as in middle east) use proxy server or any VPN and you will be able to make unlimited free phone calls.

my gmail seems to want to charge me for making calls...?

It will if you want to do a local, long distance call (e.g. I'm in NZ and calling in NZ), but if I call from NZ to Canada its free. Are you calling out of country then?

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiChar View Post
    It will if you want to do a local, long distance call (e.g. I'm in NZ and calling in NZ), but if I call from NZ to Canada its free. Are you calling out of country then?
    yes I tested it out dialling NZ from NZ
    I'll try and ring UK and see what happens - thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by themilkybarkid View Post
    yes I tested it out dialling NZ from NZ
    I'll try and ring UK and see what happens - thanks!
    AFAIK the free dialing is only to USA or Canada.

Ian

You can find all the rates here https://www.google.com/voice/rates. The guide says that calls to the US and Canada are free only when calling from the US or Canada. The rate is $0.01 per min from everywhere else. It may depend on where you register from as I was getting free calls from NZ to both Canada and the US but lately calls to Canada have continued to be free but US calls are now $0.01.

The rates for calls to New Zealand are actually pretty good if you don't have a plan on your regular phone.
    New Zealand - Landline $0.02
    New Zealand - Mobile $0.20

I have found voice quality usually better than Skype. And you can make free videos calls to other users of gmail as you can with Skype.