Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheap Broadband - Slingshot ?

Default Cheap Broadband - Slingshot ?

Seems too good to be true:
    100 GB for $60 per month
    Unlimited GB for $90 per month.
    Anyone use or know of Slingshot broad band? If this is the true pricing, how can Vodafone or Telecom compete?

http://slingshot.co.nz/internet

Slingshot I believe locks you in some long term contract. I don't think the prices are that much of a bargain as this is only broadband. The others like Telecom have actually improved their offering by upping the monthly GB quota for each plan. 40GB is a lot of data to chew in a month IMO (that's over 1GB a day use).

Search for other posts here or on Google. I remember reading that Slingshot often gives you slower speeds and there have been customer service issues. So it probably depends on what you are willing to risk/sacrifice for the savings.

Quote Originally Posted by tk1 View Post
    Search for other posts here or on Google. I remember reading that Slingshot often gives you slower speeds and there have been customer service issues. So it probably depends on what you are willing to risk/sacrifice for the savings.
    We have Slingshot and they we have a really fast connection 15mb/s which is awesome.

If you sign up you are locked into a 12 month contract.

They have a 6 month half price deal at moment so unlimited is $40 a month.

This is just for broadband though, with a phone it will be $131 a month or $91 a month for first 6 months.

Slingshot used to do free off-peak data (between 2am and 8am), they have recently removed this for new customers and have signficantly jacked up the data allowances to compensate.

Good to here a positive report. Like I said before, when I did a bit of searching to learn about possible ISP's (and pricing) I came across a lot of complaints. But then again the happy people probably are not taking the time to post their experiences.

I came across stuff like:
    http://tvnz.co.nz/fair-go/slingshot-...e-than-2929978

Quote Originally Posted by tk1 View Post
    Good to here a positive report. Like I said before, when I did a bit of searching to learn about possible ISP's (and pricing) I came across a lot of complaints. But then again the happy people probably are not taking the time to post their experiences.

I came across stuff like:
    http://tvnz.co.nz/fair-go/slingshot-...e-than-2929978
    Fair enough, I can't comment on other peoples experiences. Interesting article though, seems like most complaints were about very hard selling sales practices as opposed to issues with the service. Would have been useful to see the breakdown of the nature of the complaints.

All I can say is that we have had no issues and are very happy with our current service.

Again, I'm glad you have had good results with them. I have no experience, since I have not emigrated. i was just passing on what I had come across here and when I did a search. I'll probably give them a shot since they are the best value. There was a bit more discussion about Slingshot and other ISP's in this recent thread:

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....ight=slingshot

We have had slingshot since we moved in here over a year ago. We checked with the contract that if we had to move, (we were renting) we could take it with us and we could. We have had a couple of drop outs late evening, but generally it has been OK for surfing the net, tho we have had occasional skype video problems. However the service has probably been on a par with that experienced in the UK.

We tend not to stream or download a lot though, so others may have a different tale.

sadly i am going to have to terminate my connection with slingshot and then start a new account with them in order to get one of their current 'deals'... silly really having been with them for four years you'd have thought they would just pass on the 'deals'... generally service good, customer service poop

I found the same thing with Orcon. To get the new plan, you have to sign up a new connection as if you were starting with them brand new. There doesn't seem to be any benefit to being an existing customer, which may be why the internet providers have such high termination fees. The only way they know how to keep customers is to charge a high fee to prevent them from leaving.

And if existing customers have to pay a connection fee, the cost to switch plans isn't any different than the cost to switch companies. So now instead of just looking at my current provider's new plan, I might as well look at all the other providers too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast