Thread: Car Imports - New Rules for 2012

Default Car Imports - New Rules for 2012

Just a heads up for those importing cars into NZ from January 2012. The changes relate to the emissions standards which go up from Euro3 to Euro4 on the 1/1/2012.

Currently, if you have an EC Approval plate in your car (normally in the engine bay) then this automatically confirms a Euro3 standard on everything including emissions. The AA in NZ, once they have seen it which you can send as an attachment in an email, will confirm that the car is compliant.

Here's one of our cars as an example of the plate (German cars tend to have them near to the door, visible when open)

However, from January 2012, you will now need to obtain a Certificate of Conformity directly from the manufacturer. It appears some manufacturers will send them free of charge but don't be surprised if others charge.

Here's what they look like

In the car I've listed above, it actually conforms to Euro5 so well above even the latest NZ requirements.

Here is a copy of an email received directly from Rene' at the AA in NZ. I hope that it helps you navigate through the requirements.

The way it works is as follows:

Everything on car or every system is manufactured to a certain individual standard. Tyres, brakes, lights, glazing, mirrors, seats, seatbelts. Seatbelt anchorages, emissions, frontal impact, external projections, etc.etc has its own standard. The importer must provide evidence of these standards. A Statement of Compliance is a document issued by the homologation department of the manufacturer that lists all these standards individually. They are very time consuming to produce, so the cost quite a bit.

There are other ways of proving compliance. The easiest one is with the approval number on the EC Whole of vehicle approval plate. Luckily all your vehicles are 2001/116. This tells us that all your cars meet all the standards that are required for 2011. The approval number is like an umbrella number, it also confirms the emission standard of Euro 3. Euro 3 is what is needed for 2011. The required emission standard goes up one notch as of 1.1.2012 to Euro 4.

This means that all your cars meet the regulations as they apply now.

Because you can only prove compliance with Euro 3, you need to get more evidence that they actually meet Euro 4 (which they will). The simplest way is to get a certificate of conformity. Again, this can only be issued by the manufacturer. A Certificate of conformity is more of a generic document. It lists the Vehicle Identification Number (17 digit long VIN number) and data like engine size, how many doors, weight, dimensions, colour etc.

Amongst it, it lists data about the emissions which we can translate into an emission standard. This piece of paper can only be accepted to prove the emission standard. It does not give any other information about standards.

All late 2000’s vehicles from Europe meet Euro 4, all you need is proof.

In the highly unlikely event that one vehicle does not meet Euro 4, then you can apply for an immigrant exemption. Condition is that you hold a visa and have owned the car for over 12 months. Only one exemption will be granted per importer.

At the completion of entry-certification a form is issued called and MR2A. This form is needed to register the cars. Registration also gets you standard NZ plates. If you want personalized or Euro plates, you need to order them. www.plates.co.nz at a separate cost of about $500. The cost of standard plates is incorporated in the first registration.

Hope all the makes sense and didn’t confuse you even more. Don’t hesitate to send more questions.

Regards,

René Hausin

Thanks for this useful information.

For an indication of costs we paid VW £115 for a certificate of conformity last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamee & Co View Post
    For an indication of costs we paid VW £115 for a certificate of conformity last year.
    Subaru in the UK supplied one to me free of charge - Only took 1 phonecall and it was in the post the next day.

Guys I am getting confused with too much info. I want to take my BMW 318Ci - 2004 plate.

Can somebody put as points from the begining to the end of the process. We are thinking of sending through Ango Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by katchi View Post
    Guys I am getting confused with too much info. I want to take my BMW 318Ci - 2004 plate.

Can somebody put as points from the begining to the end of the process. We are thinking of sending through Ango Pacific.
    Sorry to bring up an old thread but I just wanted to let you know that a Certificate of Compliance is free for a BMW originally purchased through the UK BMW network.

Just ordered mine today!

Thanks

Thanks for this - no apology necessary when you're helping!