Thread: Pets

Default Pets

Okay, so I've read through quite a few older threads here on importing pets to NZ.

Wow.

Let me see if I've got this right, as my wife and I have 3 cats and 2 dogs (unfortunately, the 2 ferrets are verbotten in Kiwiland).

They will each need a round of treatments and chips at the vets within 30 days prior that will run about $750US, each.

And, then there's the shipping costs, when the crates are included, roughly the same as a plane ticket for a person ($1500US), each.

Then, there's quarantine in NZ; 10 days, at about $750US, each.

Correct?

That's $15k. $10k, if the cats can be flown in smaller crates, etc.

It IS 'wow', you're not wrong.

NZ takes bio-security very seriously, and this is just one aspect of it.

That sounds about right. It's costing me about $3000USD for my medium size dog. Size of your dogs will impact the flight cost.

That sounds about right. Depending where you quarantine- your cats can probably stay together, and depending on their size, your dogs may be able to as well.

However, I don't think you will get much of a discount doing that as most of the cost is actually the work with the animals, which doesn't decrease just because they're in the same room.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

And don't forget the round of rabies titer tests at least 6 months before they travel. That's going to be around $200 each as well (unless you've already done that?).
    Like Azkateaz, our beagle cost us around $3,000 to bring here. It's not cheap.

At least you don't have a horse- it costs about $10,000 for one.

Quote Originally Posted by Forager View Post
    Okay, so I've read through quite a few older threads here on importing pets to NZ.

Wow.

Let me see if I've got this right, as my wife and I have 3 cats and 2 dogs (unfortunately, the 2 ferrets are verbotten in Kiwiland).

They will each need a round of treatments and chips at the vets within 30 days prior that will run about $750US, each.

And, then there's the shipping costs, when the crates are included, roughly the same as a plane ticket for a person ($1500US), each.

Then, there's quarantine in NZ; 10 days, at about $750US, each.

Correct?

That's $15k. $10k, if the cats can be flown in smaller crates, etc.
    Cost us approx $5000 (NZ) for our 60lb labrador.

From what I understand, you will also need to have all of your pets vaccines, health certs etc verified and validated by a reg USDA vet.- extra $ of course. If your vet is one already - lucky you - ours is, thank goodness. Otherwise perhaps find one now to help avoid additional costs down the road. We are already on the 12-18 month countdown with our animals and making sure all the i's are dotted and t's crossed along the way. Just one more thing to worry about !!!