Thread: Options in Taranaki

Default Options in Taranaki

Hi All

I am in the running for a job in Taranaki (Stratford) & wondered what the options are for housing & schools for my family (our daughter is 5)? We know that New Plymouth is the main hub, but does anyone know much about Hawera, and how it compares to NP?

I know people have said that NP is remote from the rest of NZ, but it's not really an issue for us coming from the Fenland area of Lincolnshire lol.

All the best
    Stuart

We just moved to NP a few weeks ago. The schools seem great. The rental housing is a little scarce at the moment. 400-500/week gets you a nice 3br house but there aren't a lot on the market at the moment for some reason.

Im also in New Plymouth, been here nearly a year. Hawera is nice but a bit rural and probably a similar size to Stratford itself. Depends what you are after really. Inglewood, between NP and stratford is also good. Small town with a village green sort of thing. Checkout Trademe for rent prices, rentals out NP will be cheaper but quality of houses is not the same as the UK. Ie double glazing & insulation is not standard.

Hawera is a small town but much bigger than Stratford, 3 supermarkets, near to the coast and quite pleasant. Stratford is generally a few degrees colder than Hawera, though Hawera often is windy due to being near the coast.

Schools are reputed to be quite good, it's only an hour to New Plymouth and has a good community spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Oakeys View Post
    I know people have said that NP is remote from the rest of NZ, but it's not really an issue for us coming from the Fenland area of Lincolnshire lol.
    'Remote' in NZ is a whole other story than 'remote' in Europe...

I've spent all of three days in Stratford, it has a very nice library and good sports facilities.

I found the whole area a bit remote, but I guess if you don't mind that, Stratford is as good as any other very small town

Daniela

dharder - good point about the remotness being different in NZ. Before coming here I was living in Norfolk which is pretty remote in UK terms, 2 hours to London on the train. New plymouth is 5 hours on windy roads and over the top of mountains (well to get north anyway) to either Auckland or Wellington. And there is no public transport, ie trains.

Thanks for the info

I realise "remote" in NZ is different to UK, mind you we're in Qatar at the moment living in the desert brings a whole new meaning yet again!!

Schooling is the first priority, I don't mind the drive to work. It's good to know what the alternatives are to NP.

Should know more about the job in the next 10 days so fingers crossed.