Thread: Decking oil/Paints

Default Decking oil/Paints

Interesting factoid. I went into Mitre10 Mega today to buy a 10 litre tin of decking oil. I bought one in Jan 2009 from the same shop and remembered the unbelievable price as $120. The price now $197. I sometimes wonder how they calculate the price of stuff in NZ. Do they sit around the table and pick a number from thin air and then increase it until they think the market will literally stand no more? I know from past experience that complaining about the price of something here is pointless. I never thought I would be in the position that I would consider paint to be an asperational luxury item. The NZers seem to put up with anything and take a perverse pleasure in ripping each other off. Milk anyone?
    PS I didn't buy the oil.

I believe that the paints / decking seals over here have to be formulated to stand the much much much stronger UV rays than in say the UK or US. Just as we wear much stronger sunblock (see another thread started today). Now there's two issue here. Firstly, the market is smaller, so there's no economy of scale compared to the 'overseas' giants. Then there's the actual raw materials / chemicals needed. I'm speclating here, but I imagine that the UV protection additives are more expensive than the 90% of volume bit, and rely on chemicals that may have to be imported.

Final point, I seem to remember that decking seal wasn't cheap in the UK. >£40 a tin.

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiDreamer View Post
    Interesting factoid. I went into Mitre10 Mega today to buy a 10 litre tin of decking oil. I bought one in Jan 2009 from the same shop and remembered the unbelievable price as $120. The price now $197....
    The website is showing these products at $140-$150?

Wonder why your shop is over-charging?

Ian

I thought the shops were all locally owned, and so have the ability to set prices / offers independently? Hence not being able to use Mitre 10 vouchers in Mitre 10 Mega? Or are all the Mega's centrally owned and the Mitre 10s local?

Second interesting factoid, Mitre 10 started as a small hardware store in what's now Tauranga CBD.

Just looked on the site and they don't show the stuff they had in the shop. It's actually more of a wood oil than a specific deck oil. It all seems to do the same job except some add a stain colour as well as the base oil protection. Stll £100 is still a whack in my book.
    However I'm probably looking at the prices of things through the lens as one of the new poor, i.e. formally comfortable but now not.

Further to the price of the wood oil, 10 litres was $197 whilst 1 litre was $60...

High prices or high cost of living in NZ? It's a vicious circle, now that there's a push to raise minimum wage to $15/hr. Do you blame high prices or do you blame people don't earn enough income? - no one considers the economists' view of the 'money supply' and 'inflation' in NZ.

If the oil is a petro-chemical then it seems the price would fluctuate as does the price of petrol?

Yes that's possible but then again petrol was a similar price in early 2009 as it is now. Ten litres of petrol costs about $20.
    /rant ..I'm probably reaching that age where I start looking back at the old days. I remember my parents and other adults' complaining about the increase in price of goods in the mid 70's when costs were spiraling up due to the govenments desire to inflate away the debt of the time. Nothing you could do about it then and nothing we can do about it now. Of course the level of debt is much higher now and the only option for our leaders is to inflate it away over the next 10-20 years. Boiled frog syndrome. The masses won't care as long as their house price doesn't fall. /rant off