Thread: How long can a visitor stay in NZ?

Default How long can a visitor stay in NZ?

This question was answered here recently - 9 months in an 18 months period. But not sure I'm understanding. (where's the 'duh' emoticon?) Sorry, I'm right-brained.

Does that mean one can stay for six months of each year? 12 months of each 24 months? 18 months of each 36 months? I've googled it with no luck - other than finding the 9/18 time period and also done a search here.

Friends are asking how long they can come to visit once I'm living back in NZ. Maybe I should just tell them there's a one week limit each 12 month period!

I think the 9/18 is a UK only thing (commonweath). We normally get 6months out of every 12, but can apply for a visa that allows us to be in NZ up to a maximum of 9months out of every 18. Essentially if you've been here 9 months you can't come back for another 9 months. If you're here for 6, then you have to be out of NZ for 6 months before you come back. And if you flit in and out then you cannot be here for more than 6 months out of any 12 month period, unless you've applied for hte special 9 month visa, in which case the total time in NZ can't be more than 9 months in any 18 month period. So you can't come for 6 months, then apply immediately for a 9 month visa.
    Or rather use a 9 month visa...

Ahh - thanks! I'd always heard 1 day less than six months in every 12 month period which agrees with your post.

But they won't stay that long when they see the accommodations (a tent) which may be all I can afford if the exchange rate doesn't cooperate!

But Dell, if these friends are Americans, I think they can only stay 3 months at a time. I know that UK peeps get a longer stay than Americans. I just wanted to make sure you know there is a difference.

People from the US can stay longer than 3 months but they would have to apply for a visitor's visa. If you are from the US or another visa waiver countries, you can stay for 3 months without applying for a visa. UK citizens can stay 6 months. But everyone can apply for a visitor's visa, which normally has a 9 month maximum.

"Unless otherwise stated under special instructions, visitors to New Zealand are limited to a maximum stay of nine months on a visitor visa. However, we may allow you to stay a further three months if you have financially supported yourself and you have not worked, studied, or been sponsored during your stay.

If you have recently visited New Zealand and you wish to visit again, you should be aware that the instructions allow a visitor to stay a total of no more than nine months in an 18- month period. The 18-month period is calculated backwards from the last day you intend to be in New Zealand. For example, if you want to stay until 1 December 2009, you should count back 18 months, which will be 1 June 2008."
    Last edited by Millieandme; 30th September 2011 at 06:35 PM.

But Dell, if these friends are Americans, I think they can only stay 3 months at a time. I know that UK peeps get a longer stay than Americans. I just wanted to make sure you know there is a difference.

I'm still confused. So Americans, unlike the Brits, can only stay three months per year unless they apply for a visitor's visa - then they can stay for up to 18 months - but then it goes back to the 9/18 rule, same as the Brits? Maybe I'd better call the embassy....
    But thanks for the replies!

People from the US can stay longer than 3 months but they would have to apply for a visitor's visa. If you are from the US or another visa waiver countries, you can stay for 3 months without applying for a visa. UK citizens can stay 6 months. But everyone can apply for a visitor's visa, which normally has a 9 month maximum.

Default what about family?

hiya, so sorry to jump into a conversation i never started but felt it better i ask here than start a new post. Myself, hubby and kids came over on a resident visa 3 months ago, does the same rules apply for grandparents in that they can visit for 6 months then have to leave for 6? thanks for any info or advice, claire

Yes, unless they take out some other kind of visa. There's a visitor's visa that you can apply for before leaving home that lasts for 9 months, as has just been mentioned. Or there's a parents'/grandparents' visa. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...alvisitors.htm (Scroll down on that link.) In that case, they can spend 18 months out of a three year period in NZ. It's even possible to take the 18 months ALMOST all at once, as long as they leave the country at the end of each six months. BUT if they did that, they would then have to leave, and stay out of the country for the following 18 months.

It all depends on the nationality of the visitor.
    I have rellies that come every year .. his UK passport gets him a 6 month stamp .. her canadian passport only qualifies her for a 3 month stamp so she has to jump through hoops and fill out extra stuff to get the same time as he does .. and she has to do it every time