Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mail Forwarding USA -> NZ

Default Mail Forwarding USA -> NZ

This is a question for members from the USA. How did you handle forwarding your US mail to NZ?

While most stuff can be converted to online only, there will still be a few things that will arrive by mail. We are planning to rent out our house, so we don't want sensitive stuff ending up in the wrong hands.

Looks like the USPS will handle domestic forwarding automatically but not international. So we could have it all forwarded to a friend and then get them to post it on if needed.

How have others handled this?

I've got the same dilemma. I've decided to have my mail forwarded to the person (in the U.S) who does my taxes. For a small fee, she'll toss the junk mail, deposit checks and forward anything important.

What about shipito (shipito.co.nz) - you can consolidate your post and forward only once per month?

I thought USPS did international forwarding? We had it for our first 6 months here. But now we still have things sent to my MIL. Keep a US address if you can for your credit card, it's nice to have access to credit in both places (particularly if you are keeping your house as a rental). Also set up your Amazon account now so you have access to kindle books in the US region- books are so expensive here, a kindle pays for itself by about the 3rd new book!

Quote Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
    I thought USPS did international forwarding? We had it for our first 6 months here. But now we still have things sent to my MIL. Keep a US address if you can for your credit card, it's nice to have access to credit in both places (particularly if you are keeping your house as a rental). Also set up your Amazon account now so you have access to kindle books in the US region- books are so expensive here, a kindle pays for itself by about the 3rd new book!
    You are right, they do forward mail. Ours is being forwarded to us for either 6 months or a year(USPS wasn't sure!).

Hi Elgin,

I have been living internationally for over ten years, and for the last three years have been using http://www.virtualpostmail.com for my mail management. They provide an excellent service, and are flexible with shipping options.

Highly recommended.

I couldn't find anything on the USPS web site saying that they forwarded mail internationally. Does someone have a link?

Also, it might be a bit tricky to find us because we don't know where we will be living in NZ yet, so we don't have an address to forward to!

Quote Originally Posted by Elgin View Post
    I couldn't find anything on the USPS web site saying that they forwarded mail internationally. Does someone have a link?

Also, it might be a bit tricky to find us because we don't know where we will be living in NZ yet, so we don't have an address to forward to!
    Hate to think what it will cost as I had the post office forward my mail to another state for six weeks this summer. $13 a week!

Quote Originally Posted by Elgin View Post

As I already stated they forward mail internationally. There is no charge but yes you do need an address! I did not forward mine till day I moved and it took a couple of weeks to catch up with us but we having been getting everything. The only thing is that you use a domestic form but take it in in person, you cannot do it on line.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Like Hagabel we also set up USPS forwarding to NZ. You have to go into a Post Office to do it however, you can't do it online.

I will warn you though, it's incredibly patchy. We asked for no junk maiil to be forwarded, we occasionally get some. And the auto-printed labels miss off the PO Box number that we set up, so that could be why some mail doesn't get to me, but it really shouldn't happen. The address fitted in the boxes on the form, so why their printer can't handle it is another matter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast