Thread: Dunedin - Suburbs for families

Default Dunedin - Suburbs for families

Hi All,

Dunedin is now looking like a strong possibility for us as my wife's job options (Junior doctor looking for part time) seem better here than elsewhere and I seem to have options in most cities (geotech engineer).

Can ayone give some advice on suburbs in Dunedin with good primary schools, preferably close (ish) to the hospital and the city centre and the beach!

Thanks for your help.

PD

Good choice!!

However you have got to be a wee bit more precise: Which hospital and which beach?? There are more than just one for each here!

Anyway you might want to look at Tainui, St Kilda or St Clair, or the likes.

PS: Looking at Tonkin & Taylor?

I just got a job offer in Dunedin, hopefully heading over before the new school year starts. I am asking the same question really. We are more looking at out-of-city, a bit more spacious place. Hopefully also a bit better (warmer) (micro-)climate. Were looking at Sawyer's Bay and Port Chalmers. Any opinions anyone? I know the school choices for primary kids are limited over there...

Quote Originally Posted by savayreon View Post
    I just got a job offer in Dunedin, hopefully heading over before the new school year starts. I am asking the same question really. We are more looking at out-of-city, a bit more spacious place. Hopefully also a bit better (warmer) (micro-)climate. Were looking at Sawyer's Bay and Port Chalmers. Any opinions anyone? I know the school choices for primary kids are limited over there...
    It very much depends where exactly you might settle. It's the northern shore of Otago Harbour so you have to consider the hills there! Also you might not like the noise from the port.
    Taieri Plain is already a bit more continental, I.e. warmer in the summer, colder in the winter and a little less humid.

Quote Originally Posted by Polly Doodle View Post
    Hi All,

Dunedin is now looking like a strong possibility for us as my wife's job options (Junior doctor looking for part time) seem better here than elsewhere and I seem to have options in most cities (geotech engineer).

Can ayone give some advice on suburbs in Dunedin with good primary schools, preferably close (ish) to the hospital and the city centre and the beach!

Thanks for your help.

PD
    welcome to the wonderful Dunedin.

basically the distance in Dunedin is short to everywhere. Good suburb is Roslyn, Mornington, etc. If you want beach then south Dunedin might be the choice like Waverley

Mosgiel is the good place if you're looking out-of-city

edit
    Quote Originally Posted by nicklau81 View Post
    basically the distance in metropolitan Dunedin is short to everywhere.
    Port Chamers, Portobello, Taieri Plain (Mosgiel, Outram) and Middlemarch are a wee bit farther.

If you want beach then south Dunedin might be the choice like Waverley
    Waverley does not immediately come to mind when considering close to beach IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    edit Port Chamers, Portobello, Taieri Plain (Mosgiel, Outram) and Middlemarch are a wee bit farther.
    Please don't edit my post, I didn't mention metropolitan Dunedin.

OP asked suburb close to city, port chalmers, portobello, mosgiel and even middlemarch is out of city in fact these are another small city surrounding Dunedin

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post

Waverley does not immediately come to mind when considering close to beach IMHO.
    So you think waverley is far to beach?? 10 mins or less driving is pretty much damn close to me IMHO

Cheers
    Last edited by nicklau81; 1st October 2011 at 04:06 PM.

Please don't edit my post
    Okay, but it makes it so much more clearer.

OP asked suburb close to city, port chalmers, portobello, mosgiel and even middlemarch is out of city in fact these are another small city surrounding Dunedin
    Sorry, but you are plainly not right; these locations are not independent towns or cities but just suburbs of Dunedin City.

So you think waverley is far to beach?? 10 mins or less driving is pretty much damn close to me IMHO
    Two or three minutes are close here; ten minutes brings you across town.

As I wrote before Tainui, St Kilda or St Clair are close to beach; even people from NEV will manage within ten!
    Last edited by ralf-nz; 1st October 2011 at 05:40 PM.

FiL and his wife live in Sawyers Bay. I'm sure it's a lovely place, but every time we've visited it's been damp, dim and dreary in the shadow of that hill, south facing homes..