Thread: Career options - Cosmetology (Beauty) or Fitness

Default Career options - Cosmetology (Beauty) or Fitness

Hi,
    My EOI was selected and have been invited to apply by Dec'11. I'm the documents accumulation state. I'm from the IT (project management) and am planning to start looking for jobs once I submit my application. My OH and son are part of my application. We are from India.

My OF was a banker, working in the retail banking for 4 years before she took sabbatical in 2008. She is a home maker for the last 3+ years. Over the past 15 months or so, she got herself interested in cosmetology and fitness to keep herself busy. She is thinking of choosing one of them as a future career option and she wants to take the decision based on our future plan to move to NZ.

Can someone throw somelight on these two career options - Cosmetology and fitness? She would be working for some institute and not thinking of starting something of her own (atleast not for the first couple of years or so). We are looking forward for information on the qualifications required, license requriement (if any), job opportunities (in Auckland/Wellington areas where I'm most likely to move) etc.

Looking forward for the overwhelming response, as usual, from the other forumites who have the knowledge and experience on this are.

I'd suggest she meet with 3-4 people in each field and have a coffee/interview with them to understand the field, what a typical day is like, income potential, great employers, likes/dislikes about the field. Many will be more than happy to assist. Create a list of questions yet have an informal conversation with them. She may also want to talk to a few schools/associations that train people in each of those fields to get additional information about training required, costs, growth of the field etc. Research online is ok, but talking to people directly is even better.

Hope that helps a bit!

I agree to you, Kiwichar - nothing can substitute interacting with the persons on the ground.

The issue here is that we are in India and our travel date is not yet finalized (most likely sometime in 2012). The decision that we want to make now is to keep our next goal of reaching NZ in mind as well. We want to decide on the line where there is more probability of getting a job for a migrant as my OH's personal choice between the two is divided 50-50. We could not guage the potential by looking at the common NZ job portals.

Ok, so it'll just be conducting interviews via Skype or phone with people then. Contact them initially via email about the purpose of the contact and then she can arrange a time to Skype/phone. A bit more legwork but worth the effort, and they even might be able to provide leads on opportunities?
    Last edited by KiwiChar; 4th October 2011 at 08:28 PM.