Thread: Salary assessment and IRD

Default Salary assessment and IRD

Hello all,

I have just recently been offered a job in Auckland in a secondary school- very excited!

I am now trying to sort out 1) my work permit 2) my salary assessment 3) my sanity!

Can anyone help me with the salary assessment? I have a good idea about how to apply and already have the form. However, it says that you need an IRD number to be able to apply.

Can you apply for an IRD number from the UK? If not, is it essential to fill in this information even if you have everything else (statement of service, job contract etc) to hand?

I have been advised by a few people to get the salary assessment completed asap but I'm worried that I'll need to be in NZ before I can apply (which is January).

I hope that email makes sense- my head hurts so I may not be coherent at the moment!

On the positive side I have just booked my flight- getting VERY excited now!

You can work it out by hand. Our tax system is not very complicated.

Here are provided the tax rates
    http://www.ird.govt.nz/how-to/taxrat...etaxrates.html

Here the ACC earners' levy http://www.ird.govt.nz/income-tax-in...ies-wages/acc/

might be worth sending gorstsmit a pm as I know his missus has just been through the process

Your employing school will need to sign your salary assessment form. I made the mistake of sending all of my documents off for an assessment BEFORE I got a job - only to have them send me a letter saying they couldn't complete an assessment until I had received an offer of employment. The link to the form is here: http://www.schoolpayroll.govt.nz/Sit...ore/ESP7t.aspx

Amy.

Oops- sorry just re-read the post re: IRD #'s. It look slike you can apply for an IRD # from overseas as long as you have some type of NZ visa stamped in your passport. See below (from the Inland Revenue website):
    Overseas passport with New Zealand immigration visa / permit (please photocopy the pages showing photo, name, any pages showing current work, visitor permits, or residency documentation and a specimen signature) or call Inland Revenue on 0800 227 774 for exempt list

Cheers people,

I'll get my visa sorted before I worry about the salary assessment then. I think I can only cope with one lot of paperwork at a time anyway!

Out of interest, anyone planning to move to NZ (Auckland)) in January? Be great to chat/compare notes!

Pretty sure you can't apply from overseas as you need to submit the form in person at a post office to get the IRD number now. And what you get in the passport before you arrive isn't actually your PR, it's a sticker to tell immigration at Auckland Airport to issue you PR by adding their stamp when you arrive.

However, checking with the school and / or IRD in respect to your specific circumstances would seem best, especially as it's not as though you're the first teacher that has been employed from overseas.....

Planning to move to Auckland in Feb/March. Just sending off EOI. Wifie is in discussions with some advisors. I really cant wait.
    Martin