Thread: Flight travel insurance only - over 65

Unhappy Flight travel insurance only - over 65

Hi Folks

I am trying to get flight travel insurance only for myself and my husband. There are only a few insurance companies in the UK that seem to do this after trawling the internet and I managed to find one and when they asked me our date of births they would not cover my husband as he will be 66when we fly to New Zealand. We don't need cover in NZ as we have residency (Parent visas).

Does anybody know if an insurance company in the UK will cover you if you are 66 and over? The insurance covers you for your suitcases going AWOL and 30,000 personal accident. We will be in Singapore airport (air side) for approximately 17 hours as going to have a sleep/rest in the airport hotel before catching a flight to Auckland.

I cannot understand why when you are over 65 you cannot get this cover? I have tried all the mainstream insurance companies in the UK and they can only offer me full travel insurance which I don't need.

Post Office did but I don't know if they still do, nor if its available for Seniors.
    It only seemed to be available via an adviser on the tel.no. given on the P.O. travel insurance website.
    Our family used it when emigrating and they could choose to extend for for a few days until they were settled in accommodation.

Good luck - We hope to be having the same problem before too long!!
    Last edited by babscat; 3rd October 2011 at 03:10 AM.

Thumbs up

Hi Babscat

Thanks for that information, I have just rung a freephone number 0800 294 2292 re Post Office Travel Insurance flight only and they do cover single trips for over 6 months up to age 74.

I have just taken cover out for 3 days Manchester to Auckland and it cost 66.88 for my husband and myself all together. Covers you for the usual things and if you are taken ill 'in transit' air ambulance back to the UK if a doctor thinks it necessary. At least it is peace of mind now.

Trendynana

You could also try Southern Cross over here. I think that the issue may be how to legally commence the cover from outside of NZ, but it may be worth asking.

(I know you've got it sorted, but this is beign posted in case the thread comes up in a search in the future)

Not sure if they cover over 65s, but we got our one-way insurance from InsureAndGo http://www.insureandgo.com/, so might be worth a phone call. With us they were a fair bit cheaper than what the Post Office quoted.

We have used both of these as there are very few companies that will insure over 70's.
    Country of origin is no problem with either but I doubt they would do one-way. Would be glad to be contradicted!

Hi Trendynana
    Just trawling the site and came across this post of yours about travel ins. Did U have any joy with it, How has it gone here in NZ = are you now here full time or are you doing 6 month here and then 6 back in UK?Hope all is going well for you. regards Heima.