Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: US electrical adapters??? its still a fog

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default US electrical adapters??? its still a fog

I have read a number of threads, that deal with the elctrical issue, but it is still a bit of a fog. What will I need to make my electronics work. understand most of my computers have a switch power supply, and all i need is a plug adpater, But if we were to say bring our refirgerator and other like appliances, what would i need to make that work? Or is it even worth it..... ? I'm looking for web sites that sell the devices for power converting. thanks for your help. I am also wanting something that combines a surge protector into it.

Well our phones work in New Zealand? we just bought a new set of phones.

one thing to know about cell phones, you have to make sure they have the right frequencies to work in other countries. as well as you need to unlock them. usually isn't too hard, as long as your carrier will give up the code. (there are also other ways to unlock but im sure you can check it out for your phone)

As you have found probably by the other thread, most people say it's not worth bringing anything over that you have to buy a converter for. We are ditching all of our 110 only stuff, and going to rebuy it over there.

The one thing i am bummed about is our vacuum, dang dysons are like $800 over there.

Anyway good luck with it all!

Quote Originally Posted by WANZLittles View Post
    Well our phones work in New Zealand? we just bought a new set of phones.
    only if those are GSM phones, often called world phones in the US.
    And as thedans already said, you need to be able to unlock them in order to put new SIM cards in.

It is my understanding that U.S. landline phones (not cells) will work in NZ but if they are cordless and have a plug, then the rules apply for 110/220. If your phones are both 110/220 (like computers) then you just need a electrical plug adapter.

Correct me if I'm wrong!

Yeah I meant landline for phones, we had just planned getting new cell phones in NZ, I think we will do transformers/plug adapters for most of our electronics and everyday plug in stuff, but will plan on buying major appliances in NZ. thanks for the replys.

Quote Originally Posted by Dell View Post
    It is my understanding that U.S. landline phones (not cells) will work in NZ but if they are cordless and have a plug, then the rules apply for 110/220. If your phones are both 110/220 (like computers) then you just need a electrical plug adapter.

Correct me if I'm wrong!
    you will allso need a plug adaptor for where the phone plugs into the wall (phone line)
    I have several they are not too hard to source
    One of the phone I brought never worked properly and kept interferring with the internet so finally got rid of it
    WHy bother .. get a NZ phone for $40

Speaking of landline phones, i've been seeing more and more offices and homes that have gone to an RJ-45 or RJ-11 standard wall socket.

I also find it convenient that in these same houses and offices, they've adopted the 'F' type screw connector for coaxial / TV connections. Both 'F' and RJ are standards from the US and over time, there may be no need for using adaptors.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

The phone line "plug" is different here to the US, but it's the same or similar to the UK. That may cause you issues with phone lines.

I would suggest that refrigerators, washing machines and dryers could cause problems on the NZ electricity supply. I wouldn't want to bring them, even with a power down transformer. We had lots of UK electricals on power up transformers in the US, but they were just small devices. No major appliances.

Our UK Dyson fried one transformer on the one attempt hubby made to use that!

Vacuum cleaners are difficult to import anyway. You have to declare them and they will be very thoroughly inspected for the smallest sign of dirt.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast