Thread: Primary schools - Howick area

Default Primary schools - Howick area

Hi all,

My wife and I are considering moving to this area and were wondering about the primary schools in the area, particularly the following:

Cockle Bay
    Mellons Bay (recent ERO shows a drop in performance)
    Shelly Park
    Bucklands Beach
    Pigeon Mountain: (there are plans to build a secondary school next door called Thurston Place College for children with severe behavioural issues). - Enviro-school Gold award
    Wakaaranga - Enviro-school Silver award
    Sunnyhills

I have read all the ERO reports and from those alone there does not appear to be much to differentiate between them. Pretty much all of the reports state that the schools are performing at or above national averages.
    We would be interested to know of any thoughts from those who currently have or have recently had children in any of the above schools?

Thanks

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by kiwidream View Post
    Pigeon Mountain: (there are plans to build a secondary school next door called Thurston Place College for children with severe behavioural issues).
    Two of my children attended Pigeon Mountain Primary school for our first year in NZ. We were very happy with the education provided. There have been several ENZ'ers children who have been through the doors too.

Please note that there are no plans to 'build' a secondary school next door. In fact it is just a refurbishment of a former special needs school that is already there. TBH I think the coverage of how bad this is going to be for the primary school children has been blow well out of proportion. IMHO I believe this if very much a NIMBY attitude by a few people.

Hi, My youngest daughter went to PMP too, from Year 4 to end of primary. Excellent school, very rounded with personal development as much a feature as sports and the learning curriculum.
    All the primaries round here are pretty darn good, tbh, so think about where you want to live; you might want to take into account zones for Intermediate and College. PMP as far as i recall is unusual in not having a 'zone', but if you live in Bucklands Beach, Eastern Beach, Half Moon Bay (parts of) or Mellons Bay you will be in zone for Bucklands Beach Intermediate and Macleans College. Macleans offers Cambridge International exams; currently Howick College doesn't but I understand they are considering it.

Great area to live!
    Gil

PS Meant to say, I agree with Lisa about the Thurston Place refit!
    Last edited by gil; 9th October 2011 at 02:15 PM.