Thread: Silly question: Digital Radios

Default Silly question: Digital Radios

Hi All,

Apologies for the silly question, but I don't know the answer and I know one of you will!

Can I bring my digital radio over from the UK to NZ? Will it just automatically start picking up NZ radio stations?

Thanks in advance,

Laura

It depends on the frequencies of course it is operating on! The range is different from county to country and not limited to digital...

Yes it will work we have found that ours did not auto tune or set its time and the quality of sound was like ordinary FM before DAB

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Like Janey we brought ours out and just use it like a normal radio. I don't think NZ has digital radio - or not that I've heard of - but we just use it for FM.

NZ doesn't have digital radio. I think, because of our small population and large area, it doesn't work out financially viable. It's all the old analogue, as far as radio goes, so your receiver won't auto-tune.

We brought our Sony DAB radio (it arrived on Tuesday), and it seemed to auto tune no problem - quite limited station choice, but did pick up about 5 or 6 and quality is good.

I need to see if I can set to just FM though to get a few more stations on there.

But - short answer - yes it will work, juts probably not quite with the same choice.

NZ does have a test signal on digatal radio for parts of Auckland. We use ours to listen to FM mostly but we also listen to BBC WorldService over DAB in Devonport.

I don't want to cause a lot of flaming here and let me preface by saying I truly love NZ and Kiwis, but NZ radio is really, really bad! (I'm speaking for the South Island's collection of stations).

The stations offer mindless shows the talk radio stuff is the worst I've ever heard! And, this is coming from someone who used to live in the US! I don't think the IQ's of the talk hosts, broadcasters, etc. is above 25... It's all really superficial with no insight, depth or reporting.

The music is all pop. And it's the same 30 songs over and over.

The radio has been packed up and moved into the home disaster/earthquake kit. It's the only time it's going to be pulled out again..

So, you may want to consider not bringing your radio....

I like "The Rock" in Auckland. Just because they don't play the same 30 songs over and over like most radio stations.

Quote Originally Posted by dwhite468 View Post
    ...Can I bring my digital radio over from the UK to NZ? Will it just automatically start picking up NZ radio stations?
    Yes, your DAB radio from the UK will work if you're moving to central Auckland. However, there isn't a greater choice of stations over FM.

I tend to listen to Internet radio (Five Live, Radio 4, World Service, LBC) via my iPhone or a Roberts DAB/Internet radio that I brought with me.