Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I wish I had packed....

Default I wish I had packed....

Hi All,

We're at the stage now where we're packing up the bags and containers and getting ready to ship.

I'd like to know if, aside from the obvious (clothes, laptop, cash) there was anything you wish you'd bought with you on the plane rather than waiting a few weeks for it to arrive in the container.

Many thanks,

Laura

Someone mentioned before, their favourite cooking knife.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Someone mentioned before, their favourite cooking knife.
    Would this be allowed on the plane or even in cargo luggage?

Quote Originally Posted by MetalSoul View Post
    In the plane NO but in cargo should be ok

I wish I'd brought more books. I wasn't sure what the exact weight was of my bags so used a scale. I could have brought 8-9 kg more of stuff!

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Quote Originally Posted by MetalSoul View Post
    Absolutely fine in checked luggage.

There wasn't anything I can think of that I didn't have and desperately wanted and we had to wait 2.5 months for our container.

When you get near to travelling, for your own peace of mind, check on the websites for your airline and your departure airport to make sure of knowing absolutely up to date regulations as to what can be carried in carry-on and checked-in baggage.

But even at the height of security restrictions, small sharp things have been okay in your hold baggage. I usually carry scissors, a penknife and a nail-file in my handbag, and had to decant them into my suitcase for the flight.

About weighing your luggage - I recommend getting a luggage scale. You hang your case from it and it shows the weight far more accurately than trying to use bathroom scales. It's small enough that you can put it in your pocket to make sure of anything you want to buy at the airport, too.

My tempurpedic king mattress but don't think it would fit!

Actually wish I had hand carried birth certificates and not put them in safe in container as I have needed those couple of times.
    Make sure your driving license is at least 2 yrs old or proof that you have had one for at least 2 years.

Bring a good waterproof coat(raining a lot right now but not that cold), some warm pj's and if you do need anything cooking wise...just buy here at Briscoes but ONLY on sale.

I was lucky enough to fly with Emirates, so had 30kgs to bring with me on the flight. That, along with the hand luggage allowance, allowed me to bring most of the stuff that I needed here and now.

I would agree that warm pjs and a waterproof are essential at the moment!

Thanks for the info - will definitely make sure I have the waterproof and PJ's. Books don't apply (I use a Kindle) and would definitely have not have thought to pack birth certs etc in suitcase - so a big thank you for that one!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast