Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reviews of Education Personnel?

Default Reviews of Education Personnel?

Is anyone else finding it really difficult to secure a secondary teaching position at the moment??

I've sent in so many applications, but to no avail and am starting to worry if I'll ever find work as a teacher!

I've been in contact with a few teaching agencies, Education Personnel being one of them, who've said that they have a high success rate of placing overseas teachers.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience with these guys? They seem to be really nice and helpful, but I guess i'm just panicking a little!

Argghhhhh!!

Hi there,

I have been applying for teaching jobs (secondary science) for about 3 months and have had NO LUCK! I received rejection after rejection!

Anyway, in the end, I emailed loads of schools in the area we're moving to and asked for voluntary work or classroom support roles just to get a foot in the door.

One lovely school emailed me straight back saying that although they couldn't help with work, they wanted me to know that UK teaching CV's often look very unusual by NZ standards and that this may be having a negative effect on my job hunt!

Since then I've done a bit of searching online and although I've not been able to find a template as such, I've massively changed around what I was previously sending out - I still don't have a job, but i'm feeling a lot more hopeful now!

Laura

Oh, and Ed Personnel - I joined back in April and have received ONE email from them with a potential job opportunity. You could try Oasis Education too - I joined them yesterday, so will wait to see if anything comes of that!

Hey,

I joined both Education Personnel and Oasis Education...........had a few emails back and forth from Education Personnel but nothing really about jobs- more about the visa options that I could take. I wonder if they get money for having people on their database??

With regards to the CV, I was also told that a UK CV looks different. For most teaching jobs in the UK you don't tend to have a CV, just an application form. I did some research, and changed my CV- and it seemed to work!

Good luck- keep on trying! I had lots of knock backs before I got a job!

Hi guys,

I'm also a secondary school teacher ans have just secured a job teaching in Auckland. It was not easy- I must have applied to about 20 schools and didn't hear back from most of them but eventually it paid off!

I'd advise you to spend a long time on your CVs- NZ CVs are generally about 3-4 pages long and each CV should be tailored to the school. Do you know ANYONE who works in a school in NZ? It reallly helps if you have a contact- no matter how slim.

I sent my CV to Ed Personnel but didn't hear back- was not impressed! Oasis were very friendly and did secure me an interview- however, despite the fact that the Head Teacher said he was 'very interested' he never actually got back to me. I don't think that was Oasis' fault however- just one of those things!

Try not to worry too much- when are you heading out to NZ? You might have to wait untill you are out there to get a job- I guess it's a big risk for schools hiring someone they can't meet in person.

I reaaly hope it works out for you soon- it just takes ONE Head Teacher to give you chance.

Best of Luck.

I'm new here and I know some of the posts were last year's but maybe someone can give light to what I experienced. I applied with education personnel and then they asked for my referee reports and they interviewed me. Before the interview ended, they told me they are confident about my application and will get back to me after a week. It has been 3 weeks and I've heard nothing from them. I know I shouldn't be hoping anymore, but I really need a job before I move to NZ. Before, when I asked anything from them through email, they are quick to answer. But after the interview, whenever I ask them about the status of my application, they just ignored my email. They won't tell me anything. Has someone experienced this with them? Do they really recruit people from overseas? Thank you.

I have never had an interview with them, but they said that they would have no trouble finding me work. The woman said that I was on her books and she would definitely contact me with regards to jobs. I am still waiting! Luckily I got myself a job lined up! I would recommend that you start checking out other sources! Edgazette generally has most of the teaching jobs around!

Hello and welcome. Sorry to hear about the treatment you're getting.

ZombieDraxx Guest

Hey Sarah,

You might also find it difficult finding a position as a secondary school teacher only being provisionally registered. Provisionally registered teachers require an induction and mentoring programme that all schools aren't necessarily up to doing and rather hire a Fully registered teacher with experience under their belt.

Put in to start doing some relief teaching and if you prove your worth a school will be more likely to pick you up for a permanent or fixed term role.

Cheers,
    Anonymous temp working in NZTC

Default Waiting for education personnel unfortunately has been like waiting for rain in a drought

Quote Originally Posted by xtinacat000 View Post
    I'm new here and I know some of the posts were last year's but maybe someone can give light to what I experienced. I applied with education personnel and then they asked for my referee reports and they interviewed me. Before the interview ended, they told me they are confident about my application and will get back to me after a week. It has been 3 weeks and I've heard nothing from them. I know I shouldn't be hoping anymore, but I really need a job before I move to NZ. Before, when I asked anything from them through email, they are quick to answer. But after the interview, whenever I ask them about the status of my application, they just ignored my email. They won't tell me anything. Has someone experienced this with them? Do they really recruit people from overseas? Thank you.
    I am from NZ and know how you feel and have been (still am) experiencing the same situation. Education personnel has been acting on my behalf for teaching vacancies that I am interested in applying for, I too had to provide my 3 referees which they contacted and conducted reference checks this is because this way our referees don't get bothered for every position we apply for. However after 6 months of sending emails and applying for teaching vacancies with them i still don't have a job. I go to the interviews and then i hear nothing back from education personnel. I have had 2 situations that have led me to applying in person, on one occasion i met the principal of a school that i applied for through education personnel and he said he had not received or seen my CV (now the first question i have is 'i wonder how many other positions i've expressed an interest in that haven't been forwarded on/applied for?). The other occasion I applied for a position through education personnel heard nothing back from them not even for an interview, then a month later the same school advertised another position which I applied for in person only to hear from the school that they remembered my cv coming up a month before and that I didn't show up for the interview (my second question is 'how many positions have i applied for that i haven't been notified of interviews. I understand we are numbers in their system and they have many other recruits they work with, so i kindly asked them for copies of my reference checks to apply for positions myself, long story short they would not release any information about my referees to me due to a privacy clause - so with this I ask 'what is the point conducting the checks? If it is to stop our referees being bothered then why can we not use this same method to apply ourselves, I am lucky I explained my situation to my referees and they are really supportive and don't mind. In the meantime I have been relieving all over the city (including with my referees) which I did myself by dropping/sending my cv to schools even though some of them weren't advertising vacancies, it costs me more in travelling but at least I am getting some form of income. My advice to everyone is to apply by sending/emailing schools with your cv directly even though they don't have vacancies they may have positions coming up in the future or relieving positions, it also gets you a foot in the door. Personally my experience has been a negative one but i hope others have better experiences with education personnel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast