Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sending a suitcase to NZ unacompanied

Question Sending a suitcase to NZ unacompanied

Hi

Has anyone sent a suitcase to New Zealand via one of the courier services from the UK? By air.

We are going for 7 months in a few weeks and our allowance is 20 kilos each. We are going for a wedding so the outfits will take half the case up!! Plus lots of shoes.

I have asked Singapore Airlines how much it would cost for us to check in a third suitcase and it works out at £40 per kilo which is far too much.

Not UK - NZ though, but why not just sending a parcel with 'normal' post/courier?

We just did so from Dunedin to Berlin and 20kg was ~ $250.

Air NZ would have been £100 flat rate IIRC. I had a 20kg archive box sent over that cost about £120. Check with parcels2go.co.uk for options. Be prepared for some grief with duty at ths end though.

It's worth looking at normal post. We've twice sent some of our belongings by post back to the UK from NZ by post, as being cheaper than excess baggage (with super help from the people at Titirangi Post Shop as to the cheapest way to split the load, etc.).

From the UK, you get a much better deal by keeping each parcel under 2 kg, and within the measurement limits - again, your local post office will advise. (Mine once said, 'But can't you break this down into two smaller parcels?' when what was inside was a mini flight-bag on wheels for my granddaughter, so the answer was 'no', and the dimensions took the postage into astronomical realms, but that's another story.)

Have you tried excessbaggage counter at heathrow airport (http://www.excess-baggage.com/contac...ow_airport.php) They delivered my bags in about a week.

We are in the same situation now so what we did was called up Singapore Airlines and they made a deal with us to allow us 7 kilos extra per person at no extra charge when the time comes. We have not booked our flight yet as we're waiting to see when I would be allowed access to the house we will be getting. That would bring us up to 27kilos total per person rather than Singapores 20 kilo allowance. We wondered after we hung up since part of the flight is not through Singapore, even though we will book the flight directly with Singapore, will we get stuck paying a fee for the 1st part of the journey which goes through another airline (yet booked all through Singapore if that makes any sense). However, we'll check that out when we go to book.

We called regarding unaccompanied baggage and that was more complicated than we thought. Singapore told us you have to go through an agent, but they did provide us some names for where we live. We got a general quote then from one of the agents, but a strong recommendation on their part to send what we want to send by normal post since it's so little. So we are now considering either regular post or paying the fee as unaccompanied baggage. I do believe it's worth it to call up the airlines and bargain. We called Singapore because we thought it left directly to NZ stopping along the way using only Singapore Airlines, compared to other airlines that use other crafts to get us to another European country before we board them to get to Auckland. Well as I mentioned, Singapore uses other companies first to get us out from where we live to another European country, so we'll have to confirm we won't be charged for the extra 7 kilos with the 1st airline. We'll see what Singapore says when we call to take them up on the offer.

If you want to send it unaccompanied then it would have to go via cargo/courier. As Duncan said Air New Zealand have a hell of an offer on excess baggage which means it undercuts their own cargo rates by quite some margin, but it is for accompanied baggage.

Have you seen this website? I haven't used them personally but they are quoting about £159.00.

http://www.sendmybag.com/

Would it work out to fly airasia? I know they do UK-Malaysia, and Malaysia-Christchurch. I think they allow you to choose your luggage up to 35 kg, charges are reasonable on shorter flights, so it may be worth checking out?

Hi again Trendynanna
    did U have any joy with the xcess baggage. I see here it was for UK to NZ, R U here in NZ or still in UK

Heima

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast