Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS issues

Default GPS issues

Brought our Tom Tom from US, approx 2 -2 yrs old. Spent $99 on downloading NZ map once we got here. Now it won't pick up satellite signal and we have taken it out in car away from buildings etc.
    Company says it needs repair as we have rebooted, downloaded latest applications ect and still not working.
    I find it hard to believe that is was working at US end, hand carried(not bumped around) from US and doesn't pick up any signal. Unless all NZ satellites have gone awol!

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Thanks.

Maybe it's because the Yanks never planned on Nuking NZ so consequentially the satellite coverage is very poor!

How long have you had it on and outside for? Our TomTom took a couple of hours to pick up a signal the first time it was used here ... but starts up fine now. It just took a long time to realise it was no longer in the UK!

Agree. First time you need to leave it for a while as it doesn't know it's travelled half a world away and is looking in the sky for the satelites over the US. Needs to download the new almanac.

All our tomtom's and other GPS have worked fine (700, 800 & 920, 2x garmin GPS, Polar GPS).

My sister and I both have a Garmin GPS. She found a source for free NZ maps that she downloaded in the US before going to NZ in March. It worked great - and entertained us at the same time as the pronunciation of Maori place names was pretty funny.

I don't remember that it took any longer than usual to find a satellite.

TomTom English 'Jane' voice is quality on State Highays in. "Turn Right and take Arse Aitch Twenty Nine."

Had it on for 1 hr or so outside on several different occasions and no luck. I will leave it longer next time and see what it does.
    LOL at comment re nuking..

Thanks

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    TomTom English 'Jane' voice is quality on State Highays in. "Turn Right and take Arse Aitch Twenty Nine."
    Maybe that's specifically for when you've been driving a while and she's reminding you to scratch your bottom...

No, she is obsessed about her arse and won't shut up. Especially up in Auckland where every road we drive in is an SH something.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    All our tomtom's and other GPS have worked fine (700, 800 & 920, 2x garmin GPS, Polar GPS).
    Duncan, can I borrow a GPS? It's amazing how often I can get lost in Hawke's Bay even though there are only like 4 roads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast