Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brewery/Wood-Fired Pizzeria location

Default Brewery/Wood-Fired Pizzeria location

Hello everyone,
    We are returning again this November. We visited last year and afterwards applied for residency under the environmental scientist on the LTSSL but they rejected my geology degrees because I was lacking two classes. I offered to take those but they said then that it would have been after my work experience so they wouldn't count the work experience. Either way no big deal but we are going to try the long-term business visa route with the entrepreneur plus residency route.

We currently have started, wholly own, and operate several wood-fired pizzerias and breweries. We want to start a similar restaurant brewery in NZ and are narrowing down locations. We want to be close to both mountains, rivers, and ocean (pretty easy), we want to be in a smaller town/city (around 10,000 population would be ideal) close to a larger area, we want to be in the drier climes, and want a town that has a nice downtown (vs sprawling).

So far we are thinking Blenheim/Renwick, Napier (kind of large), Gisborne (not sure of the feel/vibe of the area), maybe Whakatene, Nelson (may be overdeveloped). These are just general areas and I'm hoping you could throw out your favorite little thriving town that could support a small brewpub.

We will be flying to Christchurch and then campervanning it northward. We have about six weeks this round and at the end hope to have finalized potential locations to less than three. If any of you are interested in our current restaurant check out www.eddylinepub.com as we will be doing a very similar theme just simpler.

Cheers!
    Mic

The driest would be Central Otago; the furthest though from the ocean. Two towns come to mind which both could really use a decent pizzeria; and brewery would be an appreciated extra: Alexandra and Cromwell.

Yes, please, come to Blenheim :-), although I have to say that we've got loads of restaurants here, but a real good pizzeria would be great. I personally don't like Domino's that much, Pizza Hut improved, I thought, at least they make pizza with really thin crust now

Renwick does sound like a good idea, there's an English pub and of course all the wineries around, but, as far as I know, no pizza.

Ah- and it is definitely a dry climate, that's why we've got the Omaka Museum with all those classic planes- Sir Peter Jackson's among them!

Rangiora needs a Pizzeria too

Napier...it's much smaller than it looks on paper. There are two breweries, but both are set up more like wineries (that make beer)...neither is great. We have also not found a great pizza that wasn't homemade yet.

Quote Originally Posted by 72andsunny View Post
    Napier...it's much smaller than it looks on paper. There are two breweries, but both are set up more like wineries (that make beer)...neither is great. We have also not found a great pizza that wasn't homemade yet.

Just finished watching videos of the amazing mt biking there...that goes great with a great brewpub. I think the culture of a successful brewpub is dependent on a successful enthusiastic outdoor culture. Looking forward to exploring Napier in depth!

I recommend anywhere close to me. I love me a growler

Rangiora does indeed need a pizzeria There used to be one here years ago apparently that was very popular in what is now called the Blue Rooster Cafe - I vote for Rangi

Cheers
    Karen

Quote Originally Posted by Heynekamp View Post
    Just finished watching videos of the amazing mt biking there...that goes great with a great brewpub. I think the culture of a successful brewpub is dependent on a successful enthusiastic outdoor culture. Looking forward to exploring Napier in depth!
    You might check out Taupo as well. Very "outdoorsy" compared to most N. Island towns. Lots of tramping, skiing, fishing in the area.

Napier is a very nice town, but I am not sure the town itself has the outdoor culture you are familiar with in the US even though there is a lot of outdoor activities around that area as well.
    Last edited by TJH; 19th October 2011 at 05:38 PM.

I'm with Newarrival, come to Blenheim/Renwick, we would love a decent pizza!

Plus, we're one of the sunniest spots in the country, so a nice cool beer would be greatly appreciated. And OH would be very supportive of any local breweries!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast