Thread: SMC-Resident Visa -> public healthcare?

Default SMC-Resident Visa -> public healthcare?

Based on this quote from the NZ Immigration website, I read this as those on a Resident Visa through the SMC do NOT have access to public healthcare. Those on the older PR do however. Hopefully I'm wrong...?

In New Zealand, comprehensive life-long medical care is available to all citizens, permanent residents and work-permit holders who have been issued with a work permit for a minimum of two yearshttp://www.ssnz.govt.nz/living-in-new-zealand/health/

Sky watcher answered this on the other thread...

But here is the info from the MOH website

Eligibility criteria:
    A New Zealand resident who has:

a resident visa, or
    a permanent resident visa,
    is eligible for publicly funded health and disability services.
    Ian

Interesting. Could you post the link, as the link I posted above states Resident Visa holders are not eligible, but that Permenant Resident Visa holders are eligible.

I hope you are correct in this.

Hate to be replying to my own posts, but in case anyone else is wondering about this subject I found this on the Ministry of Health website - thanks for the tip IanW99.

The MOH website seems to contradict what is listed on the Immigration NZ website, which is posted above. Perhaps any recent Resident Visa recipients can opine on the matter?

Eligibility criteria:

a resident visa, or
    is eligible for publicly funded health and disability services

http://www.moh.govt.nz/moh.nsf/index...anent-resident

My guess would be it's a paragraph immigration staff missed in updating language from Permanent Resident to Resident visas. I have seen this in quite a few places, but as the correct information is on the Ministry of Health site I personally wouldn't be concerned.

Scott, have you seen the page about change of names due to the most recent Immigration Act? http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra.../residence.htm At the time this came in, it was stated that there was not the intention to make huge changes to most of the immigration laws (and they pinpointed and publicized what was changing). However, everyone has had to come to grips with the changes in terminology, and not all have done it yet. If in doubt about any official NZ website, it's always a good idea to check when the page was last updated.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottNZ View Post
    Hate to be replying to my own posts, but in case anyone else is wondering about this subject I found this on the Ministry of Health website - thanks for the tip IanW99.

The MOH website seems to contradict what is listed on the Immigration NZ website, which is posted above. Perhaps any recent Resident Visa recipients can opine on the matter?

Eligibility criteria:

a resident visa, or
    is eligible for publicly funded health and disability services

http://www.moh.govt.nz/moh.nsf/index...anent-resident

Just got PR and have been the recipient of health care in last few weeks with my kids. Yes, people with PR are entitled to health care and benefits.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Anyone with Residency or a Work visa issued for two years or more is entitled to healthcare. You won't have to worry.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottNZ View Post
    Based on this quote from the NZ Immigration website, I read this as those on a Resident Visa through the SMC do NOT have access to public healthcare. Those on the older PR do however. Hopefully I'm wrong...?

In New Zealand, comprehensive life-long medical care is available to all citizens, permanent residents and work-permit holders who have been issued with a work permit for a minimum of two yearshttp://www.ssnz.govt.nz/living-in-new-zealand/health/
    The website has now updated the information regarding this

Ian