Thread: Visa waiver for visiting only

Default Visa waiver for visiting only

Hi there,

Conditions for visa waiver include:

Return ticket (within 90 days)
    Evidence of funds to support your stay ($1000 NZD per month)

Has anyone here (or does anyone know someone who has) been asked to provide proof of funds?

Everyone I have asked about this say they were just given a visitors stamp without question.

I'm bringing my fiances mother to NZ to visit us. She is coming from a visa waiver country but doesn't have any money. She can't speak a word of English either, so I'm worried if they start questioning her she might run into problems.

Should I go to the effort of sending her $3000 as well?

Thanks

Id suggest you contact the Dept of Immigration to check. As she is visiting family they might no be so strict on the funds side, thats usually to show that you can support yourself while you are in the country.

I'm another who has never been asked for proof, and my son who lives in NZ says he's never heard of such a thing for anyone arriving on a full-fledged airline with a return ticket - small planes and boats, yes.

Just to set her mind at rest, does your mother have a credit card, and/or could you email her a paper in English that she could show, saying that you, already in the country, are holding money available for her?

I am second to what JandM said.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Just to set her mind at rest, does your mother have a credit card, and/or could you email her a paper in English that she could show, saying that you, already in the country, are holding money available for her?

I wasn't asked for proof of funds either. I guess that because you will be accommodating her then she doesn't need money. The email that JandM suggested is a good idea!

Thank you all.

Yes, I have written a letter in English saying that we'll be looking after her and that I'll be there at the time to pick her up from the airport.

I've even completed a Sponsorship Form for Temporary Entry but INZ told me the other day on the phone that they don't accept these upon arrival - only when applying for a visitor's visa beforehand. So that worried me a little!

[Doesn't make sense to me because lodging a JP-witnessed signed document to state you'll be responsible for all living expenses and possible medical expenses seems a far more serious commitment than just 'loaning' her a few grand to show she has money]

But as long as they don't question her too much and she can show them the letter, forms and credit card, I highly doubt they'll send the poor old lady back home again!

It's good to hear you all say that you weren't asked to prove anything. Like you say, as long as someone can show they have support here, INZ should have no reason to be concerned anyhow.

Thanks again

Just an idea- make sure she knows how to fill in the arrival card!

My mother has visited twice, her English is less than fluent and she wasn't asked for a proof of funds.

From watching documentaries about various countries' immigration/customs services, it looks as though, if there was any doubt when your lady was arriving, and she was waving your letter saying you were meeting her, someone would almost certainly page you to ask you about her, as well as questioning her. So you'd be able to help out on the day.

When is she coming?

Thanks all.

She's coming next week. There's still enough time to send her a few grand, although I'd lose money converting it over and then back again.

I think we'll just let her wing it since everyone says they never got asked to prove if they had any funds.

Yeah - I've given her a passenger arrival card in her language and written instructions on how to fill out the real one (must be done in English).

If they have any queries, they'll be able to ring me and I can translate for her too if required.

I've never heard of customs sending a visitor home - that would be very extreme. Hopefully everything will be fine.

Cheers,

Woody