Thread: Best time to apply for job

Default Best time to apply for job

I want to get everyone's thought on the best timing for me to send out my CV given my situation.

I received my ITA for job search visa (new name for WTR) early this month, they gave me until Dec 26 to send everything to Beijing branch. I'm planning to send it around mid November, say in 2-3 weeks I get the passport with stamp, the soonest I can have it is late December or early January. Then another three months to fly to NZ to look for job. I've been contemplating on whether to start sending my resume now or defer to later until I actually have the stamp. Given this timeline, I expect to be in NZ around late Feb or early March and I think now is a bit too early to apply for anything as I just might get shunned by recruiters/companies for, first, being offshore and second, not having the visa yet. Sending my CV early might also mean my CV goes to the "NO" pile and they might recognize it later when I resending it despite being in NZ already.

My choices are:
    1. Send now and just explain the situation, when the visa is coming, timeline of flying to NZ.
    2. Send later, when I already have the visa stamp and maximize the 3 months I have while being offshore, giving them more accurate time of arrival to NZ.
    3. Send when I get to NZ, being physically in NZ might give me a better chance of landing an interview since I can attend face-to-face meet ups.

TIA.

I'd suggest go for all 3 of them. Within your CV put a bullet point that you will have your visa by estimated date (regardless of the employer/consultant reading/overlooking it). I don't know about the exact practice while scrutinizing job applications but it doesn't sound like a practical approach to maintain "No" list.....especially while looking at shortage in certain areas.

Start applying now and give them tentative dates of flying into NZ (and also mention that (if selected) you are ready to start role immediately/whenever you are able to)

Once you receive visa stamp, update your cv and in all cover letters add note that you have visa to start work immediately

After landing here in NZ, again update your cv and cover letter with local contact nos. that you have, all consulting agencies make it mandatory that you visit them face to face at least once (that’s to ascertain you are same candidate, gather identification & visa eligibility, complete application for verification/complete application for local criminal records with Ministry of Justice/background, check your confidence level etc)

Hope that helps you to get started, all the best !

Thanks the advice Sun777! I will do that, the last thing I want to do is regret that I didn't send out my CV sooner.

I would appreciate if there are other people who can also share their experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Sun777 View Post
    I'd suggest go for all 3 of them. Within your CV put a bullet point that you will have your visa by estimated date (regardless of the employer/consultant reading/overlooking it). I don't know about the exact practice while scrutinizing job applications but it doesn't sound like a practical approach to maintain "No" list.....especially while looking at shortage in certain areas.

Start applying now and give them tentative dates of flying into NZ (and also mention that (if selected) you are ready to start role immediately/whenever you are able to)

Once you receive visa stamp, update your cv and in all cover letters add note that you have visa to start work immediately

After landing here in NZ, again update your cv and cover letter with local contact nos. that you have, all consulting agencies make it mandatory that you visit them face to face at least once (that’s to ascertain you are same candidate, gather identification & visa eligibility, complete application for verification/complete application for local criminal records with Ministry of Justice/background, check your confidence level etc)

Hope that helps you to get started, all the best !

Hi anonimoose! Once u arrive in NZ, how many months do you have to secure a job before the job search visa expires?

Nine months.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Nine months.
    Thanks J&M!