Thread: Got SF Job Search visa, got job... now what?

Default Got SF Job Search visa, got job... now what?

Hi all,

I came to New Zealand on a Silver Fern Job Search visa in mid August and started a permanent, full time job at the beginning of October. There's a mandatory three month probationary period of course. I'm now thinking that I should apply for a Silver Fern Practical Experience visa as well as submit an EOI - does that all sound correct? Apparently I'll be entitled to free medical If I've got a work visa of 2 years or more - my current travel/medical insurance is going to run out in 2 weeks.

Thanks

If you've got the requirements for putting in an EOI, I don't see what the advantage would be in applying for the other visa as well. Why are you thinking of doing that?

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    If you've got the requirements for putting in an EOI, I don't see what the advantage would be in applying for the other visa as well. Why are you thinking of doing that?
    My current visa has 6 months left on it, and getting residency approved will take at least 9 months or so? So I was thinking that I would need the Practical Experience visa to avoid being visaless :-P

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Quote Originally Posted by bavbat View Post
    Hi all,

I came to New Zealand on a Silver Fern Job Search visa in mid August and started a permanent, full time job at the beginning of October. There's a mandatory three month probationary period of course. I'm now thinking that I should apply for a Silver Fern Practical Experience visa as well as submit an EOI - does that all sound correct? Apparently I'll be entitled to free medical If I've got a work visa of 2 years or more - my current travel/medical insurance is going to run out in 2 weeks.

Thanks
    I'm no expert on the SFV but aren't you supposed to have the Practical Experience visa in order to work? I thought the Job search visa just gave you the right to be in the country for 9 months?

Anyway, if I'm wrong and you are OK to work on the SF JSV, congrats on the job! If you fulfill the requirements for SMC Residence, you might as well go straight for that. It will save you a bit of money.

Yes I will encourage you to submit EOI without delay. The great thing is that if you can get your supporting docs through in time, which I'm sure you will, you kinda have a reason to get your CO to speed up your processing.

(Please note that this is just my uneducated opinion, your mileage MAY vary! And be aware that you must always have a valid work visa at all times even if your residency application is in progress)

Ouch, Manks, muddying the water here!

WL2.25 Currency and conditions of Silver Fern Job Search visas

A work visa and entry permission granted under the Silver Fern Job Search instructions will have the following conditions:
    first entry to New Zealand must be made within 6 months of the visa being granted; and
    the visa will allow work and multiple entries to New Zealand for 9 months from first arrival.
    Silver Fern Job Search visas will allow the applicant to work for any employer in any occupation in New Zealand.
    (From the INZ operations manual)

bavbat, my feeling is that it isn't your responsibility, as the applicant, to deduce what INZ can or can't do in terms of timing. If you put in your EOI, and the CO knows when your existing visa will expire, either s/he will be able to put it through rapidly, or s/he will tell you that's not possible and to put in for something else to cover the gap, OR s/he will issue you an interim visa.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

I stand corrected! Thanks JandM

Quote Originally Posted by zemien View Post
    Yes I will encourage you to submit EOI without delay. The great thing is that if you can get your supporting docs through in time, which I'm sure you will, you kinda have a reason to get your CO to speed up your processing.

(Please note that this is just my uneducated opinion, your mileage MAY vary! And be aware that you must always have a valid work visa at all times even if your residency application is in progress)
    Hey, I was wondering what kind of evidence you supplied as proof of relative work experience when you applied for the SF Practical Experience visa? I just have past payslips... have requested some letters from my past employers.

Thanks for the info, all

I had a reference letter from one of my past managers, and also a letter from HR stating that I was in position X from Date A to Date B.

They do need to be certified copies.

bavbat hello, I´m sharing the same situation as you (although I couldnt find a job yet :S).

This is my recommendation:

- Apply for the EOI now.
    - Use your current visa until april 1st.
    - Apply for the Silver fern practical exp visa then (which is gonna take only a few days)
    - Continue using that visa... until you have your residence =)

You may have luck and have your residence even before applying to the practical one.