Thread: Teenagers in Wellington Region

Default Teenagers in Wellington Region

I'm writing this on behalf of a friend who doesn't belong to any forums but really needs your help at the moment.

She moved here with her family about 2 months ago and although she loves it herself, her teenage son (17 or 18 I think) is talking about going back to the UK. I just wondered if anyone else has teenagers in the area that might be able to help out and maybe help him kick start a social life here. If you do, please let me know and I can put her in touch.

Many thanks!

I have a little disappointed when I read this post. At that age, it should be easy to make new friends. I think, people who want to live quite life choose to live new zealand and they are those who are not 20s year olds. I am thinking of coming to new zealand to study but I am confused now whether I can find any friends over there or not.

At that age, it should be easy to make new friends.
    I don't think there is any 'should' about it. Some people are outgoing at 17 years old, whereas others are shy.

But much more important is the background to this particular question. I believe April's friend's son has come to New Zealand because his parents wanted to come - it wasn't his ambition. Therefore, he may have regrets about the life he left behind, and may not be making an enthusiastic effort to find friends and interests in Wellington. This is why he might need help from people approaching him and welcoming him.

If you decide for yourself to study in NZ, it will be your choice, and so you'll be doing everything you can to make it work, and that's a very different situation from someone brought along by his family.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    I don't think there is any 'should' about it. Some people are outgoing at 17 years old, whereas others are shy.

But much more important is the background to this particular question. I believe April's friend's son has come to New Zealand because his parents wanted to come - it wasn't his ambition. Therefore, he may have regrets about the life he left behind, and may not be making an enthusiastic effort to find friends and interests in Wellington. This is why he might need help from people approaching him and welcoming him.

If you decide for yourself to study in NZ, it will be your choice, and so you'll be doing everything you can to make it work, and that's a very different situation from someone brought along by his family.
    Wise words as always

Yep but I saw this comment in another post named 'long time no speaky'. He said he hadn't made any friend. Is it a general statement for NZ or a personal statement. I really want to come to NZ and I also want having good time sometime during my study. It is just an enquiry, I did not want to say something else.

Definitely a personal statement on the part of these TWO people you have picked out. How about these threads from near the top of the Living in New Zealand forum, to give a bit of balance?
    http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=28830
    http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=28830
    http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=34620
    http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=32449

Of course some people have a bad time in NZ, but others have a good time. And this could just as well be true about any group of people anywhere.