Thread: bringing our yacht from OZ

Default bringing our yacht from OZ

has anyone moved from OZ and brought their yacht along? We contacted customs and got a very brief statement that there would be no tax (assume meant gst/duty) but the wording wasn't perfectly clear. Really like the assurance of more detail. And what about NZ rego or can an aussie living in NZ retain OZ rego?

Most of our concern is what we can and can't bring without costing a motza.

Any experience out there?

Quote Originally Posted by unclebob View Post
    has anyone moved from OZ and brought their yacht along? We contacted customs and got a very brief statement that there would be no tax (assume meant gst/duty) but the wording wasn't perfectly clear. Really like the assurance of more detail. And what about NZ rego or can an aussie living in NZ retain OZ rego?

Most of our concern is what we can and can't bring without costing a motza.

Any experience out there?
    Sorry, I haven't moved a yacht from Oz, but RE registration: As far as I can tell, there's no registration requirement for pleasure craft in NZ (exceptions: 1) trailers most be registered if they are to be driven on the road and 2) registration with yachting NZ might be required if you're planning on racing).

RE customs: No GST/Duty as long as you've owned it a year (and hold a document authorising residence--your Australian papers should cover this). http://www.customs.govt.nz/features/...s/default.aspx

PS: If you ever need experienced crew...

Quote Originally Posted by 72andsunny View Post
    Sorry, I haven't moved a yacht from Oz, but RE registration: As far as I can tell, there's no registration requirement for pleasure craft in NZ (exceptions: 1) trailers most be registered if they are to be driven on the road and 2) registration with yachting NZ might be required if you're planning on racing).

RE customs: No GST/Duty as long as you've owned it a year (and hold a document authorising residence--your Australian papers should cover this). http://www.customs.govt.nz/features/...s/default.aspx

PS: If you ever need experienced crew...
    Thanks for that..

I meant national shipping registration. not a trailer boat. We would be sailing her over. I wouldn't mind converting to NZ registration but we would be sailing back to OZ on occasion and OZ customs are notorious. They could force us to "import" the boat if it arrives with foreign rego because we are Aussie citizens.. crazy, I know..

we might play around racing but she is a cruiser mainly.. but a very fast cruiser!

Hi there,

My Hubbie works in a Marina and this is what he says you will need:

Upon arriving into NZ you will clear customs and be given a yellow TIE (temp import exemption) - this will usually cover the vessel for between 9 - 12 months. On the TIE there is an estimated value of the boat, and this value is used to work out the duty that will need to be paid. some times they will require the duty to be paid up front, as a deposit. for example, if you tell them you are moving here permanently they will expect this duty to be paid, if you then leave the country with the boat within the 12 months they will refund this money.
    You can have the duty paid on the vessel and still have it rego'd in Aus if you want. This should entitle you to go between both countries as you want. The best people to speak with would be Customs, Gary or Deborah up in Opua, Bay of Islands. They really know their stuff, as Opua clears 430-450 of the 470-500 boats per year that come into NZ from offshore. If you want I can get a number for you?

Cheers

NAP's better half

thanks Nap's better half!

As an aussie I was hoping for an exemption to the duty/gst and it looked like there was according to the info I got but like I say, it wasn't spelled out to my satisfaction. It would be painful to have to pay.

Just having a contact/name that knows what they are talking about to cut the nonsense is valuable. No worries, I can get the phone number. I'll ring.

Cheers

Bob