Thread: confusion on New Zealand education points

Default confusion on New Zealand education points

I was trying to help someone and was looking at the points given on education attained from New Zealand. I am a bit confused. I am not sure how many points one can claim on one two or three years of education from NZ and what the minimum is and what the maximum is.

What I mean is regardless of the points one claims on the educational degree one has, what are the bonus points one can claim on the education attained in New Zealand. Is there a maximum and a minimum and what is the minimum duration of course one can claim bonus points for.

Any light shed on this will be appreciated. Is there a section on this in the forum that I could read on? I couldn't find it.

All the guidance is on the NZIS website. The points calculator guides you through it by just answering the questions they ask. Be honest with those questions and don't try to do any 'no, but....' responses and they will be fine.

Note that you need to be careful about offering any help to people outside of your family or personal experinces or else you could be considered as offering immigration advice which is a big no-no unless you're licensed.

Duncan thanks for your reply. I did look at the website but I am still confused.

I guess in that case you're best not to try to help, but jsut refer your friends to the website or to NZIS who can advise them.

Maybe you are right. Anyway I think I found the right page finally and all the information is there. Thanks again for your help.

We are looking to see if there is an institute of higher learning in New Zealand that offers courses to international students for not too much. My friend does not have a good financial condition and may not be able to afford it. From what I know, even though courses may have a low cost for local residents, they are extremely expensive for international candidates. So he may have to drop the idea. Unless anyone knows better.......

Hi just to inform you that the reason I am helping my friend is that his english is very poor. Sure if he pursues this route, he will have to get courses in the language first.

However one piece of information from the web site you referred me is of concern. Even if he finds a course that is of interest to him and is not very dear to him he may not be able to gain any bonus points for education in New Zealand. The reason is that it says that the qualification should either have been attained or been enrolled into before July 25th, 2011. This means that even if he enrols now, he won't be able to claim points for it in the future. So it would be better to get the qualification at his own country which would be far cheaper than try to get it in New Zealand. Unless of course this rule has been coming into existence every year. What do you think? Any feedback?