Thread: Getting job prior to getting NZ residence

Exclamation Getting job prior to getting NZ residence

Hi all

Advice needed

NZ Immigration say that my application have been queued up, if I get a job, I should let them know and they will pace up application processing.

I have been applying for jobs in NZ for two months. Recruiters reply that to have NZ job, one should have right to work in NZ (which I can't get until my application is processed, I get interviewed ... and receive the blue stickers....)

So technically speaking, Job hunting prior to getting Blue stickers ain't a fruitful exercise????

Regards
    Last edited by Ace Khalid; 10th November 2011 at 08:09 PM. Reason: changing email notification

It is difficult to find a job especially if you dont have the visa in place ...........think I have under estimated this, as first time round it was relatively simple!
    Can only suggest you keep going I have been looking for work so we can return on and off .........since returning to the UK and thats a VERY long time........
    Good luck with your searches

It's difficult, but some people have managed it. Often, they've had better luck by going to NZ on a recce trip, having made contact with potential employers and agencies first, so they show they're serious about making the move, and they are there to be interviewed face to face.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

It is very hard task, but not impossible. The challenge you have is that you're not even in country, so that won't even get you past most HR cuts. the economy is tight here and employers are risk averse.

All I can say is persevere. Or be patient until your residency is approved and you can start planning your move and communicating those firm plans to prospective employers.

Success rate may not be good but its not totally negative, keep applying and just remember all you need is just one hit! All the best

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    It's difficult, but some people have managed it. Often, they've had better luck by going to NZ on a recce trip, having made contact with potential employers and agencies first, so they show they're serious about making the move, and they are there to be interviewed face to face.

You are right about the recce - that may need to be my next move - just with opportunities in my line of work being so few and far between over there I need to make sure its a worthwhile trip. Not that I'd restrict myself I'll take what I can get

I know its not impossible I did it before just finding it so much harder this time, but not giving up yet.

I got a job offer while I was still overseas, before my visa application was through.
    Be honest, put it in your resume (legality to work in New Zealand in application or something similar) and mention it in your cover letter. And be prepared for a lot of negative replies (I have noticed that NZ employers do send "sorry" emails back). Sign up for those automatic job alert emails if you can (many bigger companies/institutions do this). Maybe contact employment agencies and recruiters if that fits. And keep a regular scan through job websites (e.g. weekly at http://www2.careers.govt.nz/index.php?id=2059). Don't give up. If anyone is interested, a 'Skype' interview or phone interview can be starting point. I went on for months like this, until one day, I applied for the job that I am now doing. Once I had the job offer in by email, I contacted my ITA branch, less than 2 weeks later, I had the resident visa, another 2 weeks later, I was in NZ.

And if I would not have gotten the job offer? The ITA would still have been processed, but at much later date, and I still would have gotten to NZ, at a much later date... still looking for a job...