Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: People moving from USA re drivers licences

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default People moving from USA re drivers licences

Make sure you have a drivers license that is at least 2 yrs old or they will make you take the practical and computer test once you get here. It is cheaper for car insurance once you have a NZ license.

We replaced both of ours earlier this year as we moved and now I have to get transcripts from the DMV stating we have had licenses for at least 2 yrs. it has been expensive and frustrating getting hold of the DMV plus they did not answer either email I sent.

Just hate for anyone else to get caught out.

Wow! Thanks for posting this. I was just telling my OH that we should get new licenses to remove the requirement for eyeglasses as we both had LASIK earlier this year. Now that I've seen this I think we'll wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Azkateaz View Post
    Wow! Thanks for posting this. I was just telling my OH that we should get new licenses to remove the requirement for eyeglasses as we both had LASIK earlier this year. Now that I've seen this I think we'll wait!
    An old (or expired) license would be accepted as proof that you've been driving for over 2 years. This assumes that your state does not require you return your old license upon renewal.

Quote Originally Posted by 72andsunny View Post
    An old (or expired) license would be accepted as proof that you've been driving for over 2 years. This assumes that your state does not require you return your old license upon renewal.
    VA required us to surrender old one!

Thanks for the heads up.

Get a letter from DMV, or whatever your state equivalent is, before you move that says when you first were licensed there. Wv was really easy to get help from. The guy I emailed really bent over backward to get what I needed.

Just a small point of clarification: Our insurance was exactly the same price whether we had NZ licenses or not. However, the excess was higher until we had NZ licenses in hand. (Our insurance is with ASB.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bozeman View Post
    Just a small point of clarification: Our insurance was exactly the same price whether we had NZ licenses or not. However, the excess was higher until we had NZ licenses in hand. (Our insurance is with ASB.)
    Our insurance is going to be $300 cheaper with NZ licenses, no change in excess!!
    And if you belong to AAA they will give you recipricol AA membership for 6 months max, not full year but they want to see your AAA card.

So, you don't have to take the test again? That would be really cool.

Any sense what insurance would cost on a couple of mid-range cars...ie. 2nd hand Japanese three year old cars? It's extremely expensive here because of all the litigation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast