Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One week in.....

Default One week in.....

Well....I am finding it hard to grip that It is my turn to write one of these things. we have actually been here a week and 4 days but internet access is limited to us at the moment until our phone line etc is all up and running.

We already had our accommodation sorted so we haven't had to struggle to find a rental which i think could of been quite stressful taking into account we chose Fernside, Rangiora to live. Locals have told me that it has become a hotspot for people wanting to re-locate from Christchurch after the earthquakes.

I think we definitely came at the right time of year, today has been lovely and i think a warm sunny day can work miracles for homesickness (not that i have been homesick yet).

Our daughter is already in school and has already made some lovely friends. She is happy, and that is the most important thing! She has limited toys which is a shame but i have discovered a toy library in Rangiora until our container arrives!

Husband has started work yesterday and I have had the most peace and quiet i have ever had in my life this morning...

People are most definitely more keen and enthusiastic here, everyone wants to help out in any way they can....the only negative point i have is that the words "courteous driver" have absolutely no meaning here . I think the one person who waved their hand to say thanks for giving way was probably originally from another country. My hubby has almost run over about....5 people now due to the pedestrians having right of way at a junction (usually green man never appears during a green light)

Anyway, not wanting to bore you, just expressing our happiness to be here!

On the hunt for a second car at the moment, "a cheap run-a-round" as my husband likes to put it! If anyone knows of any good deals in the area please let me know.

J xxx

Hi Cherry, nice post. You’re right about people being keen, enthusiastic wanting to help out. That’s been our experience in Christchurch. I’m told that the effect is more so since the earthquake.

With regards to getting a second car, you could take a drive down Moorhouse Avenue on which there are dozens of used car dealers.

RR

All sounds good, including managing NOT to squash pedestrians! All the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry View Post
    I think we definitely came at the right time of year, today has been lovely and i think a warm sunny day can work miracles for homesickness (not that i have been homesick yet).

J xxx
    Enjoy your summer its cold, grey and overcast in Glasgow - that may help with any pangs of home sickness............

Welcome to NZ, sounds like you are adjusting well.

I got our last car from Rob Lewis Motor Company on Lineside Road. It hasn't put a foot wrong so far.
    Cheers

Thanks for the useful info, I am car hunting at this very moment. Another beautiful day, I almost died of dehydration after my 50 minute trek into town....I sooooo need a car!

Thanks again xxx

Quote Originally Posted by martyb125 View Post
    Enjoy your summer its cold, grey and overcast in Glasgow - that may help with any pangs of home sickness............
    Is it wrong that I let out a slightly evil cackle to this reply? Lol.

Good to hear you've settled and give us a shout if you fancy a coffee in Rangiora anytime Can't help much with toys unless your daughter is into lego and transformers

Karen x

Have got a bike you can borrow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast