Thread: Register for Tax - IRD

Question Register for Tax - IRD

Hi!

Firstly, thank you to everyone who has been so helpful on this forum!! We received the excellent news that our PR has been approved

Hubby will be starting work soon and we should be arriving in New Zealand on the 21st of December already! We are battling to find furnished accommodation (affordable) - and we're looking for accommodation from 21 Dec to end of Jan 2012 around/close to East Tamaki.

Anyway, back to the "actual" problem. OH has to register as a taxpayer in New Zealand and we have the necessary docs, the only thing we don't have is a residential address...We haven't even found accomm yet. How do we register without a residential address? Can we put the address of the place we book in?

Thanks guys...Now I'm giving myself a few bananas too :-) (correction lol 1 banana)

You need to put an address where they can send the IRD number and card to. It doesn't take long to sort out- mine took about two weeks to arrive. From my understanding, you have to be in NZ and take the form with your original documents and photocopies to a Post Shop or Drivers Licence Agency, who will then verify it for you. I started work without my number, and it wasn't any issue!

The application form (http://www.ird.govt.nz/resources/f/c...4a30/ir595.pdf) is quite clear I would say in requesting to apply in person within in NZ:

'Complete the form on page 3 and sign the declaration on page 4. Take it with current (the definition of current is a document that has not expired) supporting documents (detailed below), to an Inland Revenue appointed verifier. These are:
    •• Automobile Association (AA) Driver Licensing Agents
    •• PostShops and selected New Zealand Postshops.'

Generally you should receive their rather quick, i.e. within two weeks at the most.

You can get a street address which is actually a post box, but official types don't know that... All legal(as far as I am aware), and very useful until you get accommodation sorted.

www.privatebox.co.nz

I'm pretty sure I used my www.privatebox.co.nz address to get mine.

If your husband already has a job organised then you could use his employer's address and get it sent there.

I used the motel address for residential address and my work address for the postal address. Landed at 9am Sunday, applied mid afternoon in the post shop (they are open on Sundays). Got a phone call with the number a few days later.

I used one of my friends address here and IRD sent all communications to that address.

Thanks so much for all the replies - you guys are awesome!! Sounds pretty easy and hassle free :-)