Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Pet Shipping Rules

Default New Pet Shipping Rules

Hii

I have been informed by Golden Arrow that all pets from the UK going after 01/01/2012 will have to have a rabies vaccination 6 months before they can enter NZ. So I now will not be able to get my dogs over until mid May next year!! Great!
    All this because the UK is relaxing it's quarantine laws so now we will have to conform to NZs rules on EU countries
    BE aware and plan ahead
    The change isn't listed on the NZ immigration site

Francis

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Quote Originally Posted by francis1962 View Post
    The change isn't listed on the NZ immigration site
    I don't believe the "old" rules were listed in INZ's website either because it's not their responsibility. It's MAF Biosecurity's. All up-to-date information would be on www.biosecurity.govt.nz. However I always found it terribly confusing and that's why pet shippers come in very handy

Ohh I'm glad you brought this up as my dog had her rabies vac last night in prep for being shipped next year. Caught us out slightly in that we took her to vetsTues night and got normal vaccs and kennel cough. Vet told us to query rabies as it is ££. We did and found out that she did need it as she is entering NZ after Jan 2012 so vet had another £48 off us.
    She also has to reside in luxury at shado-lans in Levin for 10 days on arrival (that bumped shipping price up somewhat - if it goes up any more I'll have to sit Mr Smith down and give him a glass of water!!). Anybody had pets in there - is it any good?
    Thanks Nicky

My dog flies to NZ on Dec 6 - Golden Arrow told me at the time of booking that I was very lucky to be going before the new year for this reason.

It's frustrating when the rules change! When I got my pup a year ago there was no quarantine (because I checked before I got her) and, while it's only 10 days now, it has a massive impact on the final cost!

We shipped our dogs back to the UK from NZ in 2010 and they needed rabies jabs and then blood tests. Not sure how long these last. Anyone got any idea how much quarantine costs? We will be coming back to NZ in the next couple of years and bringing the dogs with us.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Smith2182 - Our pooch lived at Shado-Lans for 30 days when she arrived (She was imported from the US). It is a very good place, very friendly and you can visit, although it is a bit of a trek out of welly. They do look after them well, are very clean etc. She put loads of weight on in there though (lack of proper exercise for 30 days didn't help)

nickydwuk - recent quote for our pooch for Aug 2012 inc. quarantine is (deep breathe advised) approx £3400 (that's english pounds)!!!!!! Wouldn't mind but I found 4 air tickets for 2 adults and 2 kids one way - £2500 - go figure.
    Mr Smith fell off chair when I told him cost - he did debate the wisdom of bringing 9 year old dog but I told him not to finish that sentence...as if he did the dog would still be coming but he would most definately be not!!!!! Just hope she doesn't go to dog heaven too soon after getting to NZ as I want my value for money!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by smith2182 View Post
    nickydwuk - recent quote for our pooch for Aug 2012 inc. quarantine is (deep breathe advised) approx £3400 (that's english pounds)!!!!!! Wouldn't mind but I found 4 air tickets for 2 adults and 2 kids one way - £2500 - go figure.
    Mr Smith fell off chair when I told him cost - he did debate the wisdom of bringing 9 year old dog but I told him not to finish that sentence...as if he did the dog would still be coming but he would most definately be not!!!!! Just hope she doesn't go to dog heaven too soon after getting to NZ as I want my value for money!!!!!
    We had the same conversation re 9 yr old lab! Our total cost inc everything was $5000 US from DC to LAX to AKL and then 10 days quarantine, that included all vet fees etc.

Apologies for tagging on here. We are due to bring our dog next year and have just received quotes from Pethaven and Quality Pet Services, both in Auckland. Has anyone used either of these kennels, as they are both similar in price give or take a few $$$$. I just wanted to choose the best kennels that I think is right for my dog (similar conversations also........he is 10 years old!!!!!!).

Thankyou x

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by nurse55 View Post
    Apologies for tagging on here. We are due to bring our dog next year and have just received quotes from Pethaven and Quality Pet Services, both in Auckland. Has anyone used either of these kennels, as they are both similar in price give or take a few $$$$. I just wanted to choose the best kennels that I think is right for my dog (similar conversations also........he is 10 years old!!!!!!).

I used Pethaven for my lab just August and was not happy. Dog was so skinny after 10 days and they told me he had a fatal arrythmia and could drop dead any time(exact words), also then asked me 'had been seen by any vets recently??' Interesting when I got out my own stethescope...no arrythmia!!
    And they are the quarantine place, I would not send any animal there ever again.

Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast