Thread: Silver Fern visa success

Default Silver Fern visa success

Hi,

I don't remember my last post on this forum, but it's good to be back.

Anyway, to start with, I'm a website designer from singapore and am working as a website designer in Auckland.

I would like to share my experience about my silver fern job search visa journey.

I am one of the lucky ones to get the Silver Fern visa in 2010 and arrived in Auckland on April this year. As you know silver fern places are only 300 per year, I knew about this visa on May last year, by the time I knew about that visa, all the 300 places was already wiped out. So, I logged on nz immi website one day at work back in Singapore, I logged in to nz immi website, and I applied for silver fern. Although the status said "there's no quota available". I gave it a try without hoping to I would get it as the status already made it clear, and guess what happened back then??? my application went through!!! you can imagine how surprised I was that day. I was literally filled with excitement.

To cut the story short, I applied for the visa and was given 3 months to complete the documents. medicals, character checks , IELTS and etch. And I was given 9 months silver fern job search visa to fly to nz and find a job.

after I arrived in auckland, I started looking for a job, and sent out heaps of cv throughout New zealand. I also attended s job search support by Migration action trust http://www.migrantactiontrust.org.nz/, for those who will go to nz on silver fen, or go to nz to find a job for the first time, I recommend you all to find the job search support from this organization as it had helped me out so much to know nz job market, and all things about securing a job in nz, you'll get heaps of useful information that you need to land a job in nz, they won't help you to get a job, it's your duty to get a job but they'll advise you how to get a job in nz. I'm not trying to discourage any of you but I need to be well prepared before you arrive in nz, especially nz economy isn't doing well this year after Christchurch earthquake.

I got a job pretty quick, I got a job on May, 1 month after my arrival, and my silver fern job search visa was already extended to silver fern practical experience. I'm planning to apply for PR real soon.

Hopefully my story will help those of you who got silver fern this year, and preparing to leave your home country for nz.
    Last edited by nandos; 19th November 2011 at 08:44 AM.

Hi nandos,

Congratulations on securing a job and successfully transitioning using the Silver Fern Visa.!!!

I am curious to know how salaries here compare with that in Singapore.
    Or what you made you make the shift to nz and not oz?

Cheers!

George

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeV View Post
    Hi nandos,

Congratulations on securing a job and successfully transitioning using the Silver Fern Visa.!!!

I am curious to know how salaries here compare with that in Singapore.
    Or what you made you make the shift to nz and not oz?

Cheers!

George
    Thanks George, salaries in singapore is obviously higher than in nz. Especially, singapore was the fastest growing economy last year, the salary standard in there has risen as well. I had a good job back in Singapore but big bucks weren't the reason I decided to move to nz, if it had been the reason I wouldn't have left singapore. I wanted to have a more relaxed lifestyle, nz is a beatiful country, one of the best place to live in.

I lived in oz before, so I already experience the life there. Well all i can say, nz is much more beautiful than oz.

Congratulations on your job, and thanks for taking the trouble to tell about your experience.

That's good to hear you have settled well Nandos and sharing your experience.

Wow!! so let me get this straight, you missed out on the silver fern visa last year April, found out about it the next month, in May, then applied in that same month and got through? How lucky is that! lol Im guessing your application being accepted was probably due to someone else's application being denied after applying in April? or were there less than 300 who applied last yeah april? which im highly doubt ... but still .. how lucky are you!! cool!

Talking Congrats!

Hi Nandos! Congrat on your successful journey to New Zealand. I have secured my SFV Slot this year and now working on the documents required. May i know where did you send your applciaiton? Are you from singapore?