Thread: Evidence of Genuine and Stable Relationship

Exclamation Evidence of Genuine and Stable Relationship

It used to be that your partner would apply, the visa officer might say "not quite enough, do you have x, y or z?", and you could send them additional documents to support your application.

I've now been told that overseas NZ immigration offices (that is, visa offices inside embassies and consulates around the world) will no longer help you once you've submitted your application. If you don't have enough they will just decline it and return it to you with a note saying why it was declined.

The reason this troubles me is that the Family Work Instructions question N1 asks, "Are you and your partner living together in a genuine and stable relationship?".

You just know that answering No is going to cause problems, but how can we answer yes when I'm in NZ and she's in Japan? I came here in September to find work, which I've done, and now want to bring my wife over.

The same with the checklist for N9. Box #1 says "I have attached evidence that my partner and I are living together in a genuine and stable relationship"

There's that living together again.

I just have a nagging feeling that if she makes her application in Tokyo, with my address being in New Zealand, they are just going to throw it out without even looking at the huge bulk of evidence we've collected to show our relationship.

What do you lot think?

Personally, I think an 8 week separation due to one partner searching for work would be okay (I am not immigration, of course). I would say yes to that question, and then provide all evidence for (at least) the last 12 months that you have been living together. You could then provide proof that you have had regular contact during the time apart.

Can she come over on a visitor's visa so that you do keep your time apart to a minimum while you apply?

Good luck,

Daniela

Quote Originally Posted by britgeek View Post
    I've now been told that overseas NZ immigration offices (that is, visa offices inside embassies and consulates around the world) will no longer help you once you've submitted your application. If you don't have enough they will just decline it and return it to you with a note saying why it was declined.
    Its my personal opinion too that 1 year is not something to take literally. Do you have any statement on INZ's website (or reference) which quotes what you have mentioned in the post?

How long a live-in relationship do you have evidence for, i.e. before you went to NZ away from her?

There are many people on the forum who have brought their partner in after them. In some cases they have had to answer supplementary questions or give more evidence. There is nothing to suggest that INZ officials just ignore relevant evidence.

Should you not have enough evidence to prove 12 months' partnership that meets INZ criteria for Residence, or if you don't have a Residence visa yet yourself, there are nevertheless other provisions in the law. See the whole F2 section here (go to Residence, then Family Categories) http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/ and section E4.5 (Temporary entry class visa » Generic temporary entry » E4 Lodging an application for a temporary entry class visa » E4.5 Partners and dependent children of temporary entry class visa holders).

It's normal to feel nervous when something matters as much as getting permission for your wife to join you, but this isn't to say it won't work out if your case is in accordance with the law. Check for the right procedures and follow them, and you'll get there. Here's hoping it all goes rapidly and smoothly for you.

Did you receive any official email or something on this?

I don't think offices in embassies and consulates ever routinely did help. There may have been individual officials who kindly gave a bit of informal advice if someone was puzzled, but nobody apart from the receiving office of INZ has any formal jurisdiction over an application. (Many people WISH there could be someone to pick their file out of the system and sort it out on a personal level, but it's only a dream.)

It wouldn't surprise me if consular etc. officials not working in the immigration department have had their attention drawn to the same laws which apply to the rest of us, also - no immigration advice to be given except by licensed immigration advisers. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24859

It used to be that your partner would apply, the visa officer might say "not quite enough, do you have x, y or z?", and you could send them additional documents to support your application.

It would appear that this isn't true, as someone started a thread yesterday saying their Case Officer had just got back to them asking for additional evidence of their relationship.

I just have a nagging feeling that if she makes her application in Tokyo, with my address being in New Zealand, they are just going to throw it out without even looking at the huge bulk of evidence we've collected to show our relationship.

What do you lot think?
    In the Ops manual, under F2.20 Evidence, it says,
    If a couple has been living separately for any period during their partnership, they should provide evidence of the length of the periods of separation, the reasons for them, and how their relationship was maintained during the periods of separation, such as letters, itemised telephone accounts or e-mail messages.
    so I would provide this as well.

Good luck!