Thread: URGENT! uk tax return advice in wellington?

Default URGENT! uk tax return advice in wellington?

Hi,

I completed my tax return, only to get it sent back yesterday because i missed out a section "residence, remittance basis etc".

I have to have it back in Cardiff at the HMRC office in about 17days... and there are some sections of this form that are pretty confusing...

Does anyone know of anyone (a tax adviser, first had experience...) in Wellington, who knows about UK tax returns, who could quickly look over these 3 pages??

basically i own a house in the uk, no other uk income. i came to nz almost 3 years ago - but first year was on a holiday visa, so wasn't resident, and did the tax return online last year. Got residency in aug 2010, so this year filled in the paper version, and ticked the 'non resident' box...

Many thanks for any help! cheers

Can't help you regards an advisor, but have you seen this FAQ page re non-residents on the HMRC web site? It might help:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/faqs_general.htm

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

You can file online by purchasing any of the third-party software services that are available (links are on the HMRC website). I've done this for the past three years. It gets sent off straight away then.

If necessary and in the last resort, phone their helpline. They're really helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    If necessary and in the last resort, phone their helpline. They're really helpful.
    For me it was nightmare dealing with HMRC, I sent my applications & supporting documents thrice, called nearly 4 times (between Sep'10 - April'11). Every time I called them, they claimed that my courier was not received at their end (I sent everything via recorded delivery BTW) and each time I called them they said my post didn't arrive asked me not to call them for next 4 weeks !!

Finally got everything sorted out by June'11....and that was FINALLY!

I don't know anyone in Wellington, but I use Martin Riley of Sterling Tax Services for my UK (and NZ) tax stuff. As I live in the Coromandel and he's based in Christchurch, we do a lot of things by email, and I have always found him to be incredibly helpful. I don't know if the sort of help you're after is the sort of thing he does, but it can't hurt to give him a call.

Hi All, many many thanks!

Firstly - Manks - you mention the 3rd party software -this seems a great idea - as it should be quick, guaranteed to get there, etc. Annoying how their own system can't do it!

And it'll also buy me time while I consult someone (thanks for the link to sterling tax services, i had seen ad advert for them before, but forgot the name, and no amount of searching google last night could find them!)

So, any recommendations on software? how much does it cost?

cheers

Jon

Sorry to hear you had a different experience from me - guess it's all down to exactly which operatives you get.

ok, so think i'll go with this product...
    http://www.taxcalc.com/products/info.php?prodId=1111

cheaper than posting from NZ anyway!

and becuase I now have until end of, it's no longer urgent...

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

You can only use the suppliers listed on this page. These are approved by HMRC to accept electronic files - although the one you've found is on there. You have to purchase the software each year you make a submission.

But you also have to have all the self-assessment codes etc set up by registering to file online. Luckily I was in the system from when I did self-assessments a few years back.

The tax return software normally costs around 15-20 quid a year.

I've used Andica and Ftax (although the latter no longer appears on the list). Not all of them are for individuals.