Thread: Student's Spouse Visa

Default Student's Spouse Visa

Hi all,

Need some inputs from those who had crossed the same path.

As I stated in my previous post that I am going to take a level 5 certificate for one year starting next February and right now I am about to fill in my wife's application under visitor visa for partnership, to enable her to accompany me while I am being there.

I found out in the visitor application form where it asks about "the date you finally depart from NZ", which I believe, must be filled in.

So before that, I had realized that the maximum period for a visitor visa is 12 months.

So, in our planning that we are going to reach there before Feb 17, where the study will start at that time and for your information, in the college's letter of offer, has stated that the study will be ended by Feb 16, 2013. Which I presume that the INZ will give me about an extra month from that date, so maybe my student visa will be expired by March 16, 2013.

So, let say if both of us is planning to reach NZ by Feb 6, 2012, does it mean that my wife will only get her visitor visa until Feb 6, 2013? Or would it be possible for her to get the same expiration date with me? i.e March 16, 2013. Which is totally exceeding 12 months period.

How about the spouse of the student who is taking 2 years studying time? Does he/she must extend his/her visa every 12 months then?

Or do the INZ has a special consideration for the spouses of international student by giving them an expiration date following their studying spouse?

Big thanks for the help and appreciate any comment on this.

Regards,
    Ian

Hello, if your wife is entering on a Temporary Work Visa based on your partnership, her visa will be for the same length of time as yours. So assuming they grant yours until March 2013, your wife will be able to stay until then too.

Hi Deanied,

Thanks fr dropping by, unfortunately she won't be eligible for TWR visa based on the new regulation started July 2011, so she can only join me with the visitor partnership visa.

Is there any chance for her to get the same length of time as me?

Rgds,

I am talking about the Temporary Work Visa (Family Stream), not a work to residence visa. I'm here in New Zealand on a temporary work visa on the basis of my partner being a student, and mine is for the same length of time as his.

I'm don't know anything about a visitor visa to accompany you, but if she were to apply for the temporary work visa (family stream) she can stay as long as you, and it is up to her if she wants to work full time, part time or not at all. I hope this answered your question!

Unfortunately, the OP's wife may not be able to go the same route as you, because of the kind of course necessary to qualify.

You must be in a genuine and stable relationship with your partner and they must hold a New Zealand student visa to study for:

a level seven (or higher) qualification on the New Zealand Qualification Framework in an area of absolute skill shortage as specified in the Long Term Skill Shortage List, or
    a postgraduate qualification.
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...milystream.htm

ianpb, you're guessing about how long your student visa will run for, before and after your course. Perhaps it would be a good idea to ask INZ, to know for certain, and also what if anything they can do about your wife's. These new regulations mean there aren't people around on the forum yet who have come up against this particular problem.

Thanks Deanid and JandM,

Yes, maybe because it is a new regulation and prior July 2011, almost every student's spouse would have gotten their open working permit visa.

Will call the INZ tomorrow morning and will see what is their suggestion about this.

Rgds,

Oops, sorry about the confusion. Good luck!

Well, today I called INZ in the morning and she told me that my wife's visa expiration date will be the same as mine, so no sweat then, just let's see the actual result, crossed finger!

Rgds,

What course will you be taking and what school?