Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tauranga vs Nelson vs Dundedin? Why can't i make up my mind??

Default Tauranga vs Nelson vs Dundedin? Why can't i make up my mind??

This has been driving me crazy. The more I research about these 3 places, the more torn I become and more i find things i love or dislike a little more abotu each place. I can work in any of these 3 locations, I am just trying to find out which place offers a better lifestyle. I think that I have researched all of the pros and cons of each from weather, to size, to things to do, to access to other areas. My question is to you locals, or to people who have been to all of these. If all things were being equal and you could live in any of these 3 areas, which ones would you choose? And why?

If you could shed some insight into this for me, it would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!

Hello and welcome.

I think you're flogging a dead horse here. Even if your best, most trusted friend in all the world had gone to all those places, and reported back to you, 'Go to X - it's absolutely made for you,' it could STILL happen that you would set foot there and not like it at all. Liking a place (or a person) is THAT individual. And here you are, asking absolute strangers.

Can't you postpone a decision until you've done a recce trip? Or arrive in NZ with enough time in hand to see these places for yourself?

I second JandM's advice- you will find that the locals of each of those places will recommend their town as the 'best', when they are happy to be where they are!

You will have to find out for yourself, best by going and at least looking at the places- which might or might not be enough.

Good luck!

Try making a list of everything you want from your location and then ask more specific questions to find out what you need to know before you make your mind up. Climate might be a big issue for you, or accessibility or education etc. This isn't foolproof because as has been said, in the end it will come down to the feel of the place and your initial impressions and experiences when you arrive. But if you can't do a reccie as we couldn't, your only option is to do what you are doing and gather as much information as you can. You can look at local newspapers online and I found the local council websites quite helpful, traveller blogs are also useful for first impressions and some of these helpfully provide videos and photos. We chose Nelson in the end and one year in we are very happy with that choice, but we were prepared to move on if it had not worked out for us here. Good luck to you.

Definately need a recce if you can afford it...it's a bit like buying a house...you will get 'the feeling' when you find the right one!!! For example we had a recce to Welly last year and a place in Welly which I had been researching thoroughly as a possible area to settle in left me cold when we actually got there....very strange.
    Nicky

If you cannot decide then throw the dice!

As already mentioned you will only get the feeling once here/there.

Furthermore, an unknown will be the workplace atmosphere.

yeah... i know that a recon trip is definately in the works as the only way to really find out. Ideally spending 2-3 weeks in each place would be ideal. But just funds and time are going to make that pretty difficult. Was hoping that there would be a few people here who have visited all 3 and could just give their opinions on each, and which they would prefer to live in hypothetically out of the 3. I realise everyone has a different opinion of course. Guess i am just looking for some clues to pop up. The biggest 3 sellers seem to be weather for Tauranga, chilled out lifestyle in Nelson, and the friendly people in Dunedin and access. I knwo that there are a many things to consider. But for those who have been to all 3, I would be more thank thankful to hear your take on each and why you may personally like one more than the other.

The weather in Nelson is great - we get more sunshine hours per year than anywhere else and snow is virtually unknown at sea level, grapes, olives, lemons and avocados all grow here.

THanks ShineyPeople. I thought Tauranga was the sunniest in the country (in terms of amount of sunshine hours??). Well.. both Tauranga and Nelson have it Dunedin in that department for sure. Shineypeople, have you visted Tauranga and Dunedin as well?

1. Nelson
    2. Dunedin
    3. Tauranga

All great cities, but Nelson has a special cafe culture/artsy vibe. Hard to describe although it is a little small. Dunedin has history, culture and architecture. Definitely one of NZ’s more European cities. Tauranga is a boom town and all that goes with it. A lot like Florida or the Gold Coast AU.

Best of luck!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast