Thread: Renting a car

Default Renting a car

We are taking our 6 week trip next year to NZ and want to go several places that are off the beaten path. We were originally just going to use the busing system there but I think that might end up limiting where we can go. Does anyone recommend somewhere to rent a car from? Is the cost even close to being comparable to riding the bus? Thanks!

Hi,
    We went on a recce last year to Welly and didn't have loads of time to get a lot of $ together. So I really researched re: rental car prices and really struck lucky with apex rentals.I think they have offices throughout NZ, but great car, great service, really friendly and great value for money.
    Hope this helps.
    Nicky

We used Apex when in NZ a year ago, and were also delighted with the quality of the car and the service. I haven't researched bus fares, but it'll be immaterial if they don't go where you want to get to! I also know that there isn't as much of a network of bus travel routes in NZ as in some other countries.

Hi Courkent,

This is probably the cheapest bus company, it seems to be populated by young people, check where they go and see if it matches the places that you want to see.
    http://nakedbus.com/nz/bus/

Gran

We used Omega when in AKL earlier this yr and they were the cheapest we found.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

You might want to try Rent-a-dent for a budget option!

We always use Omega www.omegarentalcars.com/

They are reliable and cheap.

I've used ACE rental cars for the last few trips. They're cheap - high mileage. In March the brakes started to screech. I called ACE and was told to take it to any mechanic. I did. It needed new brakes. The mechanic spoke to ACE on the phone and I was good to go. Minimal delay - no money from me.
    I'm using ACE again in February for three months. http://www.acerentalcars.co.nz/
    Last edited by Dell; 30th November 2011 at 02:13 PM.

use the omega service.

We've made numerous trips over the last 15 years and we have always hired a car from Rent-a-Dent, and will be doing so again when we are back for Christmas.

I used Naked Bus for some journeys whilst I was there earlier in the year, and if you book far enough in advance, you can get a seat for $1, though on some routes I found that 'advance' meant only a few days before. My daughter used Inter-city when she was over travelling to the Rugby World Cup matches, again booked in advance most of her seats were a $1.

Have a good trip.