Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Groceries - yup, that dreaded question

Question Groceries - yup, that dreaded question

Sorry all... one of those irritating questions, but I must ask.

So, NZD50-60 per week sufficient for groceries for single person - Auckland?

Is that reasonable?

Yes, it is a tough one to answer because everyone is so different - but is it do-able to get a shop for someone who buys the basics in terms of flour, sugar, simple house cleaners (I tend to survive with very few), bread, yoghurt, chicken, juice, cereals, fillers for sandwiches, cheese, left overs (of course!), pasta, meat maybe once a week, fish maybe once a week, tuna, coffee, tea and all the other non luxury items nor brands that go into cupboards. No real luxuries - not a biscuit or cake eater, but maybe would like a bottle of wine once a week. Not a big eater, but do enjoy cooking own scones, soups, making my own gourmet sandwiches like chicken and pesto, with ciabatta once a week - so no need to buy take outs. And of course things like flour, sugar, cheese tend to last me for ages as well. It is a tough one to gauge because even though I search through websites, it is difficult to pin down - having been in South Africa where food is significantly cheaper, compared to where I now live in Belgium, where food is terribly expensive. So to get my head around NZ prices, would like some thoughts! Thank you! It is genuinely appreciated!

yeah, thatll be fine. if all else fails, you can get a rodeo meal deal at BK for $5 so you could have 2 a day for a week!

Default Hi there Victoria

Thanks Victoria! You are a star! But my "poison of choice" is a KFC sweet chilli wrap... Hmmmmm! There again, Nando's is also in NZ???

I would assume that the bottle of wine per week might be a little wishful thinking, unfortunately.
    Last edited by ralf-nz; 30th November 2011 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    I would assume that the bottle of wine per week might be a little wishful thinking, unfortunately.
    .....and the cheese

AGREE wholeheartedly - we had a bottle a day in South Africa (its only 2 glasses per person!). But how life changes living in EUROPE ... I could get European cheeses cheaper in SA as well... and the wine here is **** - some NZ bottles here but let's not go into the price.... Depressing. Actually now looking forward to going back to be honest! WEATHER! Wine and probably cheaper cheese!

Thanks for that Ralf! This is only short-term measures prior to new job. Budgeting of course on more (basing on Europe prices), but basically living thin when first arrive. :-)

I think nearer $80 would be more realistic, particularly now you've revealed a fondness for cheese.

We have seen one Nando's in Hamilton. Unfortunately it was no where as good as Nando's in the UK. It was expensive and the food was bland.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

There's a Nandos in Wellington on Courtenay Place. and a few others around the country it seems http://www.nandos.co.nz/

I would say it is probably doable. If you sign up for Pak n Save's Shop 'n' Go service, you can scan everything as you go round and it will total things up so you know how much you've spent at the time (although I can't find any mention of it on the website so it may be restricted stores).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast