Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rentals - Washing Machines normally included?

Default Rentals - Washing Machines normally included?

As per the title really. We've sorted a rental in Coatesville, unfurnished, but to my surprise there's no washing machine/dryer. There's a good sized utility room but no obvious place to install either with existing pipes, etc.

Is this normal on an unfurnished rental?

Yes, quite normal! When flatting it is often included but not when you are renting a house for one family.

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    Yes, quite normal! When flatting it is often included but not when you are renting a house for one family.
    Or, not normal at all as is my experience.

Maybe it is a regional thing?

Ian

In our current and previous home we didn't get washing machine, though we were aware of it at previous home and had bought one before moving in. At both of these properties we had water hose and electrical socket.

Didn't you notice missing washing machine or space around utility area? Did anything change since you first checked the place?

Do speak to the landlord and sort it out (or ask them to fix at least hose and electric sockets) as life without washing machine is possible but very very difficult!! Laundromat would help but only for regular clothes. It is not abnormal in unfurnished unit but owner/agent runs through list of furnishings/whitewares.

Okay, thanks for the replies. Seems that it's varied. Just one more thing I'll have to get sorted pre Christmas....Arrgghh....so much to do and so little time to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sun777 View Post

Didn't you notice missing washing machine or space around utility area? Did anything change since you first checked the place?
    I've just checked the photos I took today whilst there and it's got a thing called a Robinhood Supertub. I looked at it but thought that's not going to do it but Google turned up an explanation as a unit that supplies water and allows drainage to a washing machine. Never seen one before

But they are quite common here aren't they??

I've seen them in two houses my son has rented in Auckland.

Fairly standard over here. You will find the washing machine will probably only have a cold connection pipe also. You place the washing machine by the sink (dont ask why they have the sinks as I have not worked that out yet) and run the cold connection pipe through the holes in the side. Inside the sink cabinet you should find a connection port for the pipe. The washing machine will have its own heating capability so no need for hot water (most modern models have these I was informed).

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_B View Post
    I've just checked the photos I took today whilst there and it's got a thing called a Robinhood Supertub. I looked at it but thought that's not going to do it but Google turned up an explanation as a unit that supplies water and allows drainage to a washing machine. Never seen one before
    Perfect ! You have got the hose & electric socket that means. Ours is exactly same, open the small door below the sink and you will find a hose which fits into washing machine. There are 2 holes on the right hand side of sink which are used for water (in) pipe and the upper (slightly large one is for water-out pipe) of the washing machine.

It took some effort for me to fix water-in pipe but its a easy DIY task and any standard washing machine will fit into it. I can upload picture if you need any help.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast