Thread: Emigration from the UK to NZ, 95 points

Default Emigration from the UK to NZ, 95 points

Hi folks,

I'm looking for a little advice. I've been planning a move to New Zealand for a while, and I'm finally ready to go. I'm hoping you might be able to help me with what might be my best path. So first, a little about my situation:

I'm 33 years old.
    I'm born and bred in the UK (Northern Ireland, so I could also get an Irish passport if that'd matter) and a native English speaker.
    I have an undergraduate degree in Physics from the University of Nottingham (on the list of approved institutions) gained about 10 years ago, but I've never worked in that field.
    I have a Masters in Information Management from the Robert Gordon University, which is also on the approved list, gained July 2010. This qualifies me as a professional librarian (a skilled category job), which is the field I've been working in, doing professional or semi-professional work for perhaps 5 years, leading up to February 2011. This is the area (or corporate information management, which I'd actually prefer but don't have any experience of as yet) that I'd like to work in.
    Since then I've been working as an admissions officer.
    I don't have any criminal convictions or any other barriers to me going, that I know of.
    I'm single, no dependents.

All this added up to 95 points, when i was looking at the expression of interest calculator, which is shy of what I'd need, I think. So it seems to me that I need to get whatever VISA i can to get over there, and look for work out there, but from what information I can find, it doesn't seem like there's any way to do that.

So the advice I'm looking for is really, what would be my best path to getting to live and work in New Zealand, medium to long term? I have friends in Christchurch, and I know the place is a bit of a mess at the moment after the earthquakes, but that's where I'd like to go if that has any impact, but I'm not picky!

Many many thanks in advance for the help, if I can provide any more information please don't hesitate to let me know!

You will probably need a job offer. Most likely you will get one after some initial online work from Europe followed by face to face interviews here.

Hello and welcome to the forum .

Are you considering to take a recce for job hunt? Otherwise you may try to look for Working Holiday Visa (WHV).

If you succeed with job offer whilst here, that would bump up some points into EOI.

Hello and welcome.

You won't get a WHV at 33, but you CAN go for BUNAC IEP. http://www.bunac.org/uk/worknewzealand/eligibility.aspx

I can't see 'librarian' on the skills list(s) http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...tialskills.htm under that name - does it come under a different heading, that you're calling it a skilled category job?

Hi folks,

Thanks for the help and the welcome! I was referring to librarian appearing as number 224611 on the Appendix 6 - List of Skilled Occupations section of the operations manual- that is, it's not an area of growth or shortage, but it's a skilled job. I hope I haven't made an error there in how it's applicable?

I have been saving for a few years now, and am prepared to just up and move over there and apply for jobs if necessary, but I'm not certain how long I would have to do so before being politely asked to leave, or even if it's legal for me to take this approach in the first place.

Many thanks for the BUNAC link- that looks like it might be great! But I was wondering, if i do take that for a year, could I apply to stay if I had work with an accredited employer? I'd hate to get over there and start setting up a life and then be told I had to leave on expiry of the VISA. Is there a possibility to travel on that VISA and then transition to a residency or a longer term work visa? I'm not keen to have the Sword of Damocles hanging over me :S

Thanks again for all the help!!

Brian

Oh, I understand now about the Librarian business - sorry to have alarmed you!

If you go on a BUNAC visa, it would entitle you to start working for anybody. As with WHVs, you aren't allowed to take on a job on a permanent contract, but if someone wants to offer you such, in most cases they will play ball by starting you off fixed-term, then giving you the formal offer of a permanent position which you can then use to apply for a Work Visa or Residence (depending on preference and individual circumstances). And yes, don't worry, many forumites have gone over either on WHV or visitor's visas, and applied for something more from within NZ once they had a job offer.

Ah, many thanks! I'll investigate the BUNAC option then, and I'll take it from there! Thanks very much for all the help so far guys!